Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mall Shopping, Canada Style



Some of the things that were different in Canada surprised me — like the chain stores. In my desperate swimsuits-for-kids search I went into every plausible retail establishment. H&M was the same as in the US. Old Navy was the same. Gap was kind of the same (they were running an ad campaign I haven't seen here in New York). Sears was not the same.

Sears in Toronto has a cosmetics department so expansive it kept reminding me of Bloomingdales on 59th. Sears in Toronto carries LaCoste and Calvin Klein but not Land's End. Sears in Canada has it's own website. Fascinating.

The store that was most fascinating to me was Canadian Tire. The logotype is excellent. The displays were excellent. But I couldn't get a handle on who the customers were or what exactly they carried. Maybe a kind of Target? Their line by Debbie Travis (who?) also excellent. Note: they don't carry children's swimsuits.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie Travis has an annoying show about painting everything and anything on HGTV.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 1:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mo said...

Do they carry tires?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 6:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Amy, thanks for the Debbie Travis info.

Mo, I saw a lot of tools, but no tires. Maybe they were in a section I didn't get to.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 2:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger J said...

lol, I live in Canada and I'm not sure what one gets at Canadian Tire - it used to be tires but now it's tires and just about anything you would ever want for household, sports and toys... just about anything but groceries and clothing!lol And if you loved Toronto, get thyself to Montreal... it's 100 times more fun and beautiful!

Julie

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 5:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Thanks for chiming in, Julie. Nice to get the info from someone who knows. And I'm dying to visit Montreal.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 6:03:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home