Thursday, October 19, 2006

Book of the Week: Nutshell Library



This was on our library shelf in the home I grew up in and luckily they're back in production. I loved them as a child and I love them now. The collection of 4 books by Maurice Sendak (author/illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are) is tiny, each book measures about 2.5" x 3.5". One is about the alphabet, one is about numbers, one is about the months of the year and one is a "cautionary tale" about caring.


The size of the books makes them extra intriguing to little hands — as if they are pretend books. My toddlers have not been able to resist them. They come as a boxed set and each one is hardbound and has it's own little dust jacket. The illustrations are as charming as the size.


The collection costs about the same as buying 1 larger picture book, which I think is reasonable, but if you're buying it as a gift it doesn't have a lot of "wow" impact because it's so small.

Find it here.
add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved those books when i was a kid!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 12:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom in Mendon said...

These books have been so popular among little visitors that even as a grandma, I bought a new set.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 1:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mo said...

I loved Where the Wild Things are as a kid. That and Drummer Hoff.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 6:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kara said...

FYI- Maurice Sendak just wrote/illustrated a new book. It's a fantastic and intricate pop-up book called "Mommy?".

I didn't know he was still alive, but he's writing books and doing interviews on NPR.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 7:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Thanks for the head's up Kara. I'm excited to see his new book.

Friday, October 20, 2006 at 2:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Salem said...

"I don't care"

Friday, October 20, 2006 at 10:04:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the books... but the icing on the cake is the record I grew up with that sets this text to music! And by Carole King, no less. I was thrilled to find it recently re-released on CD.... "Really Rosie" is the title. My daughter loves it

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 9:10:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home