Thursday, September 14, 2006

Book of the Week — My Father's Dragon




My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett

I know I did a dragon book last time, but it reminded me of this one and this one is awesome. Such a great story: an alley cat convinces a little boy to stow away on a ship and rescue a young dragon. Pretty much a can't miss with any child. I love this book as an introduction to reading chapter books aloud at bedtime. The plot is not too hard to follow, the language is fairly simple and there are lots of really great illustrations to aid the imagination.

There are 3 books in the series. The volume we have has all 3. All three are good, but the first is best.


My sister-in-law Traci sent this book, along with a recording she made of the book being read aloud. We have listened to it on roadtrips a hundred times. And read the book as a bedtime story a hundred more.
A really thoughtful gift.

A must have for any child's library.
Good price on the 3 story volume here.
add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger kacy faulconer said...

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm shopping for a Christmas book for each of my kids. At the store yesterday I was grateful for your recommendations. Have you seen All Things Alice or All Things Oz by Linday Sunshine? They are fun to look at.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 3:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Christmas shopping in September? Impressive. I've never heard of anything by Linday Sunshine. I'm on amazon now. . .

Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 7:32:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home