Monday, October 26, 2009

All In The Details — by Guest Mom Kristy Glass



When the store-bought costume is not doing it for you, you gotta take things into your own hands. When I decided; “I am going to be Mrs. Incredible,” and I found Disney’s Mrs. Incredible costume online to be UNcredible, I needed to take matters into my own hands.


I pulled up an image of Mrs. Incredible from the Pixar film and compared the two side by side: What? Horror! I was amazed at how lame Disney’s offering was.




The boots were not tall enough, neck too thin, and where are the gloves? I started staring at this cartoon picture and trying to figure out how my non-seamstress self could make my own costume.


I ordered black gloves, black briefs, black tall boots and a full-body red unitard. I stopped by the fabric store to get some orange and black stretch fabric to add to the waistband and neck of the unitard. I also picked up some felt and glitter to create the “i” graphic on the chest.

My sewer friend whipped that orange waistband on the briefs and the black on the outside of the neck. I spent an evening burning my fingers (literally) glueing that incredible logo together. The last thing I needed to do was order the black makeup from Ben Nye, and voila! I had a much more incredible costume then the store-bought, and for around the same price.


As an added bonus, I already had a short sassy hairdo similar to Mrs. I, and the big booty to boot!



I know this is a good costume because 4 other friends have borrowed it. I have also worn it for school appearances at my daughter’s schools and sometimes the prospect of wearing that costume again someday in the future, is all the motivation I need to do my morning workout.

This year I have used the Mrs. Incredible Model to put together 2 costumes that I am pleased-as-punch about.


My daughter will be Olivia Pig, from the Olivia books by Ian Falconer. Her outfit is modeled after the illustration on the cover of Olivia Counts. Each piece (striped tights, striped shirt, white blouse, jumper) will be worn the rest of the year as separates and together for upcoming holidays (Christmas, Valentine’s Day). I had no guilt purchasing these items as they will be worn again! (Unlike the Judy Jetson store-bought catastrophe that looks cute but wears MEH, that my other daughter insisted upon purchasing!)


I had to make the ears and for fun I made a duct-tape purse to go with it. I enjoy having a little hand-made bit of the costume, preferably one that does not involve me sewing.



Also this year I have used the Mrs. Incredible Model for
my own costume. I chose to be Cruella Deville, circa 1960’s. I bought each piece off ebay: red boots, red gloves, black vintage dress, white furry coat, wig. After studying the cartoon drawings of Ms. Deville, I decided to get some green jewelry as well. My good friend etsy helped me find just the right set of earrings and a ring.

So, there you have it! Incredible Costumes, to make your Halloween the most memorable!


Find more from Kristy at her blog Glass Posse.

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I LOVE these!!

Steph

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 1:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kj said...

Looking oh so fabulous! Great how to hints too.

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 1:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Incredible, indeed.

Yowza!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 2:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kari said...

Good excuse to buy killer boots!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 6:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Melissa Jade said...

what website did you get those briefs from? I adore the costumes!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 9:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger leta joy said...

Completely awesome costumes. Well done!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 10:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

Fabulous Kristy!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 10:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Olivia the pig, what a cute costume!

Monday, October 26, 2009 at 11:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

dang! i'm pretty sure i couldn't rock those costumes as well as you do! good work!

funny, one year i did olive oyl and was surprised, when i studied the original cartoon character, how different it was from what i remembered.

i believe in character accuracy, or closer-to-accuracy, too! if you're gonna do it, why not go all out?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 1:02:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kage said...

MJ, got it from a dance or cheerleader supply website or eBay shop... The red unitard I ended up finding on a dance supply site that repurposed old costumes, it was like 10 bucks....

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 6:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger MelissaS said...

Do you have links for the Olivia costume separates? What a great costume that can be repurposed.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 12:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kage said...

MelissaS- tights off eBay, jumper and white blouse, in person at H&M striped shirt gymboree off eBay... I made the ears with wire, felt, old headband and hot glue and ribbon... Purse out of red duct tape...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 12:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger elysiasegal said...

haha omg Kristy these are amazing. I'm also totally for character costume accuracy, you did awesome! :)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 1:04:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Quinn said...

OMGoodness!! I LOVE these ideas! Your Mrs. Incredible is WAY better than the Disney one - how lame is that one?! And I melted over the Olivia costume. Sooooo stinkin' cute!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 3:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mary said...

Love your costumes. My husband and I have been getting into the spirit of Halloween the past few years. This year I am going as Cheetara from Thundercats. I cannot wait. I am thinking about Mrs. Incredible for next halloween!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 4:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kage said...

Quinn, I am pretty happy with how Olivia turned out. My little one has the attitude to go with it!

Mary, I had to google Cheetara because I am unfamiliar and that totally rocks. I love the colors and the makeup! If you can do her face this year, Mrs. Incredible next year will be a piece of cake...the hardest is part if the bridge of the nose.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 5:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger This is Carrie said...

I can personally attest to the awesomeness that is the Mrs. Incredible costume. It has traveled across the country to make it's appearance our our Halloween party a couple years ago. Totally Killer. Kristy is the queen of Halloween.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 7:34:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH that Olivia is darling!!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 3:12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home