Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Adoption Gift from Katie Mohr



For Mother's Day I got a painting. It was an original. It had custom framing. It was expensive in many contexts. It cost years of tests, shots, co-pays, pregnancy tests, adoption fees, postage on paperwork, airline tickets, country fees, and international ATM fees. It cost tough conversations, tears, long runs to clear my head, eight months of my "real life", strong hugs, several hard Mother's Days, thousands of prayers, and rolls upon rolls of cookie dough. If I gave you a real dollar amount we might all throw up. However, this painting is worth it. It's that good. I would pay that "price" all over again.


It was made by two little hands. Two perfect hands. Two brown hands.


The same two hands that offered me part of his waffle on Sunday morning when Russ told him that it was Mother's Day. The same brown hands that rise in the air when he hears his new favorite song because he wants to "dance" with me. The same little hands that search through my hair to find which earrings I'm wearing each day. And the same hands that have to sign "more" because he's giggling too much to talk. The same sweet hands that blew me a kiss after I said good night to him while he was already tucked into bed tonight.


I'm in love. I'm in love with Eliot, I'm in love with being his mom, I'm in love with the Lord for creating him and "us", and I'm in love with his painting.

From Katie of More From The Mohrs.
Image via Fresh Art Photography.

----------

Note from Design Mom: for the duration of my pregnancy, I'll be posting advice, memories and stories about pregnancy, childbirth, adoption and growing a family on Wednesdays. You can find them all by clicking here. I'd love to hear your story or memory or advice, feel free to submit it to gabrielle@designmom.com.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Jodie Allen said...

I just love Katie and her writing is so beautiful I was in tears. But of course I'm biased b/c I know her in real life and adore her! Thanks for sharing E-man's story with us Katie... you are amazing!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 2:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lynn Kellan said...

Bringing a child into your heart is just...transformative.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 2:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

I love the theme of stories about pregnancy and family. We had a recent post at Dontdodumbthings about the same miracle from the man's perspective. Stuff like that really brings out what's important.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 2:34:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Kelli said...

This brings a HUGE smile to my face. I am blessed to have Katie as my friend...and Eliot is so blessed to have her as his mom.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 4:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger rachel blazer said...

katie, this is beautiful... and your family is beautiful! my caroline has been talking about E all week (since seeing him on sunday). he makes quite an impression!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 4:59:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Nancy Rommeney said...

Katie... Simply BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 6:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous adrienne breaux said...

Wow. Just wow. That was amazingly beautiful, touching and well-written.

-adrienne
http://wearegoodkin.com/

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 7:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

So beautiful!

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 2:20:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with tears welled up because that was just so sweet...really lovely and I could so relate. Is Eliot adopted? I wasn't sure. I am adopted and we have a 3 year old daughter that we couldn't adore more. Glad I stumbled across your blog....thank you! :)

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 5:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Zakary said...

Just beautiful.

Monday, March 22, 2010 at 4:22:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home