Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gretchen Rubin



Remember when I posted about Gretchen Rubin's book,
The Happiness Project? I really liked it and keep thinking about one discussion point in particular: part of what she figured out is that to be happy she had to "Be Gretchen Rubin" — she gave lots of examples of this but the first one to come to mind is that even though she wishes she was the sort of person who really appreciated jazz or classical music, the music she honestly enjoys is more of the lite FM variety. If she is honest with herself about her likes and dislikes, she is happier.

What do you think of that idea? Would you be happier being you? I immediately thought of my food tastes. I wish I was a person with sophisticated food tastes, but if I'm honest, I'm probably happiest sitting down to the sort of meal that would be cooked in a crock pot. : )


Gretchen Rubin is one of the people I'm most looking forward to meeting at Mom 2.0 Summit. I head to Houston tomorrow. I even get to speak on Saturday. Can't wait! Will I see you there?

P.S. — Speaking of happy, this photo of a spinning girl makes me very. Via sfgirlbybay. You know what else makes me happy? Jordan had her baby! Go say hello to Roman.

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Bradley said...

It's such a simple idea but so perfect. I think we should all be a bit more honest with what makes us happy. I think it would make everyone's life run a bit more smoothly.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 1:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger ASR said...

yes, this was an idea kicking around in my brain today. I like all of the new fabric patterns out there...you know the ones reminiscent of the 60's and 70's but truly deep down in my heart I'm smitten for plaids and neutrals.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 1:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

i loved her happiness project book too, very inspiring!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 2:42:00 PM EST  
Blogger Erin said...

I love that thought too because I have thought it for many years. You really are happier trying to be who you are and giving up what you are not.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 3:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

got this book from the library. can't wait to dig in!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 4:24:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Dottie, ModernKiddo said...

oh, have the most wonderful time at the Mom 2.0 summit. I'm perfectly green with jealousy, but in the best way I swear!

i can't wait to read all of the write-ups after wards.

Have an amazing time!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 6:16:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get this book out of the library! I do try to be honest with myself - kind of like how I tried really hard to like fancy chocolate for a while but, to be honest, I am more than happy with a Twix bar any day. : )

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 11:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger jen said...

I love this post and the notion that it's just about being who you really are, and honestly I loved hearing you say that you're a crockpot food kind of girl! Thanks for the encouragement to just enjoy who I am!

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 2:52:00 PM EST  
Anonymous KateB said...

Love the Gretchen Rubin musical taste admission. Reminds me of a Mad About You episode, where a tv crew is coming to the apt and Jamie covers the coffee table with magazines like The New York Review Of Books and Scientific America. Paul raises an eyebrow, and she says,"WHat? I went to Yale - it could happen." As forty approaches, with alarming speed, I find myself becoming more accepting of myself (and others), foibles and all. A nice upside.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 7:37:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I'm reading her book right now!

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 11:21:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home