Friday, January 08, 2010

Awesome Things 4-year-old Oscar Said in the Last Two Weeks



1) The other day, Oscar walked into my bedroom as I was getting dressed and observed, "Wow Mom, your breast-es are really getting big!" (He is such a boys' boy — can you imagine his delight when he discovers the existence of double-d chests?)

2) While I was making dinner last night, we had this exchange:
O: Mom, I hope the next, next baby is a boy."

M: What if this is the last baby?
O: Mom. You never run out of babies.

3) While we were at the snowy cabin over New Years, Oscar announced to me and my sister-in-law Lisa with dramatic effect, "Hey. My penis is straight!" And then he headed off to build a fort. Or possibly take down a woolly mammoth. I should also note, this announcement didn't seem to phase Lisa at all. Maybe because she has 5 sons?

4) Because his birthday is so close to Christmas, Oscar still has Santa on the brain. He has begged repeatedly to invite Santa and the elves and the reindeer to his party. I told him the invitation has been extended, but that Santa and the North Pole folks wouldn't be able to make it. But now I'm thinking: why not have Santa make an appearance? It would absolutely make his day. I'll have to see what I can do...

I can't believe how big my little boy it getting. That curly headed baby at the top of this post is almost five years old. We'll have a kindergartner again this fall. Which is, of course, impossible to comprehend.

And now I'm going to cry a little bit because everything moves too fast.

photo by Liz Fuller of A Backward's Attraction

add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

as a sex therapist, i LIVE for that kind of open and honest childtalk about bodies! nothing bugs or embarasses them yet, and they say it like it is. i wish we all could be like that! thanks for sharing - he's sure a cutie :)

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 10:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Deb said...

What a lovely post. We have to cherish every moment we can, huh? My son (nearly 2) is in the that stage. As in "what's that?"

He pointed at my nose yesterday, "that?" I said, it's a nose. Then he grabbed my boob. "that?" That's a boob, dear. He's been facinated with them ever since.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 10:46:00 AM EST  
Blogger Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

i loved this post. it reminded me so much of my Enzo. you should get Santa to come. he would love it.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 10:47:00 AM EST  
Blogger jenna said...

I have a bow at the exact same stage... and yes, I do want to weep just a bit. He's also a "breast man"- always has been and, let's face it, i bet he always will be.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 10:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger jenna said...

p.s. I meant BOY, not bow. Jeez.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 11:00:00 AM EST  
Blogger silversmith said...

aaah....little boys and the great things they think of. mine is 7 and he still has fantastic things that amaze me. last year, he was playing with a nylon tube-play thingy (you crawl through it on the floor) and he steps into it, pulls it up to his neck and shouts as he runs down the hall "i look like a dude in a dress!"

thankfully, boo is aware that girls and boys look different under their clothes and he's perfectly ok with it. he'll say "huh" and then move on without another thought.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 11:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Hazel's Mommie - I think you would like our house. There aren't many taboos. : ) Come hang out any time.

Deb - So funny. I hear you on the fascination. Oscar still feels me up everytime I hold him.

Damaris - I really need to make some phonecalls about the Santa thing. There's got to be someone nearby with a suit.

jenna - So true! Some of these kids seem to be hardwired from the beginning.

silversmith - Love that story! Yay for a confident boy.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 11:12:00 AM EST  
Blogger LoveFeast Table said...

I asked my 2 year old yesterday to sing an Owl City song (he knows the words!) He looked at me and proceeded with "blah bum de dum gurggle". I said, "What was that?!" He said, "I was singing it in Spanish!"
Kids say the darndest things!

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 11:17:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Trish said...

Hi there! I've not left a comment in such a long while - and I'm enjoying your blog so much. This post reminded me of my 6 year old daughter who said, just as the teacher opened the car in the drop-off line at school...."Don't worry mommy, I'll keep my vulva nice and clean today." So funny!

BTW...I have a Santa Suit in great shape if you'd like me to send it to you.....

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 1:19:00 PM EST  
Anonymous featherbed said...

too cute hahaha you never run out of babies! :)

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 2:22:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Toni Danielson said...

I absolutely love the raw truth that children give. Even though it makes us cringe sometimes!

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 2:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

little boys. so much precious.

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 3:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sarah said...

these made me laugh out loud and made my day. thanks for sharing with the world!

Friday, January 8, 2010 at 7:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Too bad we live in Utah. My husband plays Santa. He would love to help out!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 11:40:00 AM EST  
Blogger Rachel said...

Little boys are the best. There is just something about this age that makes me melt. My boy is 3, and just discovering his voice. I love it!

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 6:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

So cute! I finally got to read the whole thing today;o) I'll share the link when I blog about it!

~Tanya

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 8:45:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous! I loved the way I looked when I was preggy but I hardly got any pictures of myself. It's heartbreaking, I wish I had more- and not even one bare belly pic. Enjoy your pregnancy, and I hope you have a healthy and safe one!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 4:54:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Granddaughter, Hailey, 3 1/2, was watching me get dressed the other day. (I had on my bra but not my shirt yet). "Grandma, put on your shirt before you poke someone's eye out." Kids, they kill me!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 12:47:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home