Friday, December 11, 2009

What Grandma Really Wants for Christmas



If I was a really good daughter and a really good daughter-in-law, this is what I would be giving my Mothers for Christmas. I've posted about Geneartogy before — basically, it's an easy-to-use, online service that helps you build a beautiful family tree. A ready-to-be-framed presentation. And the site keeps track of your work so you can do the project over time as you collect information.




You can do four generations. Or if, it's too intimidating to track down that many photos, they also offer a format with only 3 generations of photos. I've seen them displayed with complete photos and complete names. I've seen them displayed with partial photos and complete names. Either way, they look pretty fantastic.




Really, I should team up with my brothers and sisters and we could all split up the research and track down the info and get one of these put together in no time. And once it's done, we could give it out to every sibling, every aunt and uncle and cousin and win the prize for best-relative-ever and never have to be in charge of the family reunion. : )

What about you, Dear Readers. Who would you make one of these for?

P.S. — If I don't make my mothers a Family Tree display, I think I'll get them a copy of Richard Rife's book, Honoring Christmas in My Heart. My friend Laura sent me a copy (her good father wrote the book) and I didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of great memories and stories from a man who loves this holiday. Plus a simple defense of Santa (what's with the Santa-haters?) that I appreciated. Also. It's hard to beat a $7 gift.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger Made With Love - Oregon said...

Where can I get a full sized version of the second family tree???

My mother in law would die for that.

madewithloveoregon@gamil.com

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 2:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jen said...

love the family tree- I did that for my parents a few years ago and they loved it!


check out this auction I am participating in for two children in need of transplants. today and tomorrow only! http://www.placetobloom.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 2:05:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amy said...

I have been wanting to do that for a long while! I have all of the research done (and more...), but I kind of wanted to make one myself. Any ideas on how you might go about that?

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 2:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger Becky said...

these really are beautiful - I love the idea of having pictures so my children can SEE their relatives they come from

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 5:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Faith said...

Love the trees and also enjoyed Richard's book. My husband used to work for him and Richard sent us a copy. We ordered a bunch to give as gifts to give to neighbors and friends.

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 6:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Just Us said...

Design Mom, I'm so glad you said something about the Santa-haters! I am bewildered every time I read about another person that doesn't want their kids to believe in Santa. I just don't get it (and I've heard all of the excuses out there).

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 11:47:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Yo-yo Mama said...

I thought this sounded like a great idea to start for my own family. After I created an account, I found that filling out the information is confusing. It should have a way to indicate what's 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc., etc., but instead it just is a "here's the number on the tree and that's the name/picture you fill in". In other words it doesn't help guide you on paternal or maternal side.

Also annoying? No more than 25 spaces allowed for names. My husband's name has 26. Older generations with their long old fashioned names will not fit.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 3:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm glad to see this book on here. My husband and I both served in Pres. Rife's mission and he is the missionary whom one of the stories is about! How fun! Thanks for sharing!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 10:12:00 AM EST  
Blogger Colleen said...

My mother-in-law would love the family tree as well; this year I made her a piece of art with all of the silhouettes of the grandchildren in her family. I am so excited to give it to her. You can check it out here: http://www.craftpad.com/2009/12/handmade-holiday-gifts-sneak-peek.html

Merry Christmas!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 10:21:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home