Monday, June 08, 2009

House Guests



I arrived home from New York late Friday night to a house full of relatives here for a mini-family reunion. It has been non-stop adventure till right this minute when I've stolen some time to sit at my computer and catch my breath.


New York was wonderful. It did wonders for my homesickness. As I mentioned, I was at a photoshoot for a magazine article — I can't share any deets yet, but I promise to mid-August when the article comes out. Cross my heart and hope to die.

The weekend was lovely. My nephew David arrived home from his mission in Italy (with gorgeous Italian leather shoes on his feet, naturally). My nephew Josh (the table builder) gave his farewell report — he'll leave for his mission to Minneapolis next week.


Our house is packed with cousins and aunts and uncles here for the big hello and goodbye. It's wonderful. Happily, on Saturday we hosted a BBQ and finally had the chance to use those charming canning jar votive holders. Gorgeous, no?

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

hello.

your blog always puts a smile on my face. can you explain how to hang the votive holders on the tree?

many thanks.
christine

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mom in Mendon said...

Love to all the Blair families from Russia. We have two Latvians serving here!

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous mommymichelle6 said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I love entertaining family and friends.

Have a great week@

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 12:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kaylen said...

Mmmm. I do like those candle holders.

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 12:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger amy turn sharp said...

crushing on those votive holders still. lerv!

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 3:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! We're in Minneapolis. I'll keep an eye out for a greenie who's unusually handy with a hammer. ;)

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 4:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Erin @ Sprouted In the Kitchen said...

Nephew Josh to Minneapolis? Hurrah! I'll have to look for him here and give him a hello. We're ward missionaries, after all, so we'll probably run into him on purpose anyway. We're in the Anoka Stake, Elm Creek Ward.

p.s. Tell him that he is coming when the weather is great and the scenery beautiful--he'll need it to bolster him come January!

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 5:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger janeannechovy said...

If you have baby food jars around, they're just the right size to fit a tealight, and it takes less wire to go around the mouth for a hanger than for a canning jar.

Christine, when I made them, I used florist's wire I bought at Michael's to make hanging loops that wrapped around the jar mouth and arched over the opening. To hang them from the tree, you could use more (finer-gauge) wire, or Christmas ornament hangers. Just be sure you don't use anything that the candle can set on fire. I haven't tried it, but I like the Christmas ornament hanger idea, especially if you string up horizontal wires through the tree branches first. Then it would be easy to light them and hang them up (that's by far the most time-consuming part.

I like baby food jars because they're free, but if you use larger-sized jars you have a little more flexibility in hanging materials, because they'll be less likely to catch on fire. I think for my sister-in-law's wedding they used larger jars and hung them in the jacaranda tree with ribbons.

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 6:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Hi Christine. Jeanannechovy has great advice. If you're in a hurry, here's an alternate method. I cut off the top of a wire hanger and slipped it through the wire arch over the jar. Then I hung the wire hanger on a branch.

You can see what I mean in this image: http://www.designmom.com/uploaded_images/canningjarvotives1-755798.jpg

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 7:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger mrs boo radley said...

Gorgeous, yes!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 11:32:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home