Monday, April 13, 2009

Why quilts are cooler than you think — By Guest Mom Amy Smart

I blame the 80’s for any negative stereotype of quilting. (What don’t we blame the 80’s for, with the exception of U2?) Too much powder blue and dusty pink. My goal with this post is to disprove that stereotype and broaden views on the utter coolness of quilts.

I love old quilts. I think they are fantastic. Vintage quilts are a fascinating art form that in many ways preceded the Modern Art movement of the 20th century by almost 100 years.



This one was made by Julia Ann Cantwell in 1881 in frontier Utah.
I love that it was almost a purely female expression born of necessity and a medium women found to express their creativity using small pieces of the remnants of their everyday lives. I also love that this art form thrived most in adversity, whether during the Civil War, the pioneering westward movement, the Great Depression, or even more contemporary, in Gee’s Bend, Alabama.

Gee’s Bend is an isolated, rural community on a bend in the Alabama River. Most of the residents are the descendents of slaves that worked on the cotton plantations. The quilts of Gee’s Bend, created starting in the 1940’s up to now, mimic the modern art movement in cosmopolitan areas, and yet they were created in rural, impoverished isolation. Women created them out of necessity as a functional means of keeping their families warm. The quilts became an art form born of their poverty, using the little bit of excess they had. Since their collective discovery, they have been displayed at world-class galleries.


Here are a couple of my favorites:

Made by Martha Jane Pettway around 1945


And I love the description with this one:

“In the early 1990s, a former Bend resident living in Bridgeport, Connecticut, sent some garments — double-knit leisure suits — to Gee's Bend. Mary Lee Bendolph remembers: ‘My sister-in-law's daughter sent those clothes down here and told me to give them away, but didn't nobody want them. That knit stuff, clothes from way back yonder, don't nobody wear no more, and the pants was all bell-bottom. We ain't that out-of-style down here. I was going to take them to the Salvation Army but didn't have no way to get there, so I just made quilts out of them."

You can see more examples here and read about Gee’s Bend here.

Coming this week: some ways you can get your own sewing groove on.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

19 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Banigan said...

Great quilts! Coincidentally, I just dug a quilt out of storage that a friend gave me years ago. Her great-grandmother gave it to me, and once upon a time I made the BIG mistake of putting it into a washing machine/dryer. It's in a serious state of disrepair. I've been doing research on where I might get it fixed- any reputable (and inexpensive?!) suggestions? THANKS!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 12:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very interesting Amy - I also love antique quilts. Although I don't own any, I do remember using them as a child and didn't know they should have been kept as art. We just needed to stay warm.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 12:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sherri said...

Congrats Amy...I love learning about the history of quilts! It will be fun to read your posts each day!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 12:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger V and Co. said...

just say no to forest green and purple quilts or dusty rose and powder blue!
quilting IS cool.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 1:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Brittmae said...

Very cool Amy --- I have actually wanted to get into quilting purely from the modern quilting blogs I have seen recently and the cool vintage ones my family has of my great-grandmother's. I had no idea you were such a quiltist -- now I have even more of an excuse to come over and see your darling kids and listen to Michael do some Weird Al raps.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 2:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats on this guest post gig :) Can't wait to see what the rest of the week holds - great post!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 2:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dansie Family said...

i love quilting. i am not very good at it, but love it. I am member of a local quilt guild and i just love listening the mature ladies and seeing their handiwork. the art is not lost yet.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 3:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Melanie said...

These are fabulous. I'm not a quilter, but I love abstract art, so it's fun to see this new (or newly recognized) medium. I actually centered my personal statement for grad school on the Gee's Bend quilts.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 5:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger nikki said...

the last one reminds me of amy butler's midwest modern quilt pattern. fun to hear from you, amy!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 5:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Heather said...

Wonderful quilts, and I agree that the last description is classic! I LOVE old quilts - just inherited a baby quilt made by my great-grandmother. Looking forward to your guest spot here and I'm definitely going to be visiting your own blog!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 5:46:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Julia said...

Don't forget about the use of quilts in the underground railroad. They were directional signs so folks working their way north knew where to go.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 6:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger girlsmama said...

I love the Gee's Bend quilters. Maybe someday I can get my hands on one. I like U2 too! Two very cool things.

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 7:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

i'm just starting to quilt, so i'm definitely looking forward to more posts this week!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 9:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hill Country House Girl said...

Love the quilts you've shown. Love the quilts of Gee's Bend. Quilts get a bad rap sometimes and it is unfortunate because they are a true art form - I agree with V and Co. about the not so good colors - but there is bad design in lots of areas....and some really great design, too! Thanks for a great post!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 11:32:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE Gee's Bend quilts: The mix of fabrics--a little corduroy here, a little wool there; the irregular shapes; the WOW colors.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger liso. said...

beautiful. i fell in love with gee's bend quilts through one of my mom's (millions of) quilting books. last year i was able to see them in person while i was in santa fe. reading and seeing the stories of their history made me feel even more connected to my mom and gramma and the quilts and histories that they've created.

thanks for helping make quilting cool!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 2:46:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous kelly said...

I love the good quilting vibes! Looking forward to your posts this week.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 1:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Vintage Chicken said...

I am so excited to find this blog!
I'm a huge quilt lover... from way back whe... the 80's! LOL

Can't wait to get to know you better!

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Model Citizen aka Bonnie Rue said...

knowing that quilt is made out of leisure suits makes me love it even more!
I had the Gee's Bend usps stamp collection and that quilt in particular was my favorite in the collection.
What can I say? I'm drawn to leisure and kitsch.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 2:45:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home