Friday, May 01, 2009

From Tree to Chair — by Guest Mom Amy of Progressive Pioneer



I go weak in the knees over the right piece of furniture. I love the warmth and honeyed color of real, solid wood. There is really nothing I'd rather sit down to a good meal in, than a great, hand-crafted chair. Growing up in Maine, where everything is steeped in history, we had our fair share of centuries old furniture. That's the wonderful thing about wood; it only gets better with age and a little love and care. Here are a few of my favorite heirloom-quality furniture makers:



Thomas Moser
I mention him first because he has been the inspiration for so many furniture makers and you can see his influence everywhere.



Kalon Studios
I recently discovered Kalon Studios and love their aesthetic; kind of eastern, kind of eco and kind of classic. Their baby furniture is beautiful.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Salt Lake's own Ivory Bill. We own and love the cabinet pictured at top. It currently holds stuffed animals and binkies in Sam's room and is the perfect height to sit right next to the nursing chair.

Beautiful furniture that you'll have forever is worth the wait. We're currently saving up for the perfect dining room table, one that will hold an abundance of loved ones, that will hold the stories, candlelight, traditions, Sunday dinners and Saturday morning breakfasts within it's grain and grow richer and more lovely as the years go by.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Kenziepoo said...

Thanks for the post!! Love the Kalon Studio!

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 2:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cher said...

Love Thomas Moser. I went into a store in Boston that carried his stuff and was DYING.

I had the hardest time finding a dining room table that was 1. solid wood so it could be refinished easily and 2. was simple and stylin'. Everything I saw was veneer this and ugly that. Finally I took a few pictures to a family owned furniture store in Baltimore (we used to live there) and worked with the builder to come up with the perfect table. I absolutely love it. AND it cost the same as if not less than similiar, cheaper pieces in stores.

It has all kinds of dings on it and I couldn't be happier. It's well loved...

Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 8:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kim Trochman said...

Does Ivory Bill have a website? I LOVE this cabinet!
Thanks

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 11:10:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home