Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Charmed, I’m sure": an easy way to avoid fabric overload — by Guest Mom Amy Smart




Hello, my name is Amy, and I’m a fabri-holic.

I love beautiful fabric. And there is SO much available right now. For someone who doesn’t sew, or even know where to begin, walking into a fabric store can be overwhelming. I’ve worked in a little quilt shop Saturday afternoons for the past 5 years and I’ve seen many a lost soul want to start a project, but have no idea where to begin.

There is a fantastic little product introduced recently by the fabric company Moda to help you with this problem. Charm Packs.



Traditionally, a charm quilt is a quilt that has no fabric repeats. Charm Packs include a single, pre-cut swatch of every fabric in a particular designer’s collection. There are numerous styles and color schemes — something for everyone. They come in 5” squares, ready to pick-up and start sewing for only $8. If you want to make a scrappy baby quilt, but don’t want to invest in lots of different fabrics, this is for you. You can go here for an easy charm quilt tutorial.



In addition there are other pre-cut options such as Layer Cakes (forty 10” squares) and Jelly Rolls (forty 2.5” x 42”) strips, rolled together beautifully. Moda also has a Bake Shop blog full of free patterns and tutorials. And not just for quilts. There are rugs, baskets, banners, etc.


This collection is called Arcadia. Here is a sample of the variety of patterns and color in one charm pack. The quilt below was made entirely from a Charm Pack, Layer Cake and Jelly Roll, and about 2 yards of solid orange. I love that all the fabric coordinates and is ready to sew with minimal cutting and waste.

Here are some other suggestions for these precut collections:



Bean bags. My 5-year-old son LOVED helping with this project (he funneled the beans in). And then he loved promptly throwing them at everything he could find.



Vanessa’s or Gabby’s banners.




This hoop framed fabric art from the Purl is so cool. I saw it when I visited their shop last May and I’ve been collecting hoops from thrift stores since then to make my own.


The possibilities are endless. What are your suggestions?

add to kirtsy

24 Comments:

Anonymous kerry said...

love this. these little packets are exactly what I've been looking for to make beautiful birthday banners!
thanks.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Brittmae said...

Good to know - I love looking at beautiful fabric and think the hoops collection is a great way to showcase some a pretty collection. Thanks for the ideas!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 11:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I just got some charm packs of wonderland. Sherri (a quilting life) sewed the charms together and made my bag pattern. It is so cute you have got to see it. Nice guest post Amy.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Kayo said...

I know exactly what you mean, I'm a fabri-holic as well and I can only sew straight lines!
I like cutting-and-pasting fabrics, for eg making some bird cut outs, backing them with paper then making a mobile with them.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 12:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger B.E.A.T.L.E. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger B.E.A.T.L.E. said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the bean bags!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are incredibly sweet and I am so tempted to buy a few sets...I'm also tempted to by fat quarter stacks and yards and yards of beautiful fabrics! I must keep myself in check, but am adding this to the growing wish-list in my head. Thanks for the ideas!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I'm so excited to know this! I've been wanting to make one of those cute banners (perfect for my non-sewing self!) but didn't know where to start getting cute fabrics in small quantities. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom was just telling me that while she doesn't have time to sew much any more, she still finds herself wanting to collect fabric even so, because she loves patterns and the patterns do go out of production after a while. I think she does know about charm packs, though.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tiffany said...

now i have to make a charm quilt!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Abbey said...

My mind is spinning with the possibilities! Thanks for a great post!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 2:38:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Mixing Bowl Mama said...

I really needed to see this post today. I have great desires to be spend lots of my free time sewing blanets and bags but I have limited sewing skills..this actually made me feel like it might not be too difficult. And I LOVE the hoops...brilliant idea.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 2:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kimchi said...

You have the Coolest Ideas Ever (I am starting to sound like my 3 year old). I absolutely love the hoops with the fabric - I can't wait to try that!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 3:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Debbie said...

This is wonderful! I just got a sewing machine for my birthday because I want to learn how to sew this year. Thank you so much for this great post!

How cute are is the garland!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 3:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Laura Trevey said...

wow! such gorgeous fabrics! I like the bean bags :)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 4:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carolyne said...

I love the little banners!

I just found your blog recently, and I'm in love with it!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 6:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger AmyF Hackworth said...

Hey Amy, this is such a fun post! The quilt is amazing, and my little boy just saw the top image and said, "Mom, look at that! Can you take a picture of it? I love it!" So there you go. Your art is really resonating!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 10:15:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! it is so cleaver. I also wanted to say you are a very good photographer. I loved all your pics!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 2:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger AshleyB said...

This has been an inspiration!! I often find little packs of scrap fabric in the dollar bins @ my fabric store that I love, but I avoid buying them because I know they'll never get used and will just clutter up my workspace. Now I have a plan! :)

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 9:34:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mindy said...

Did you use a pattern for the arcadia quilt? I just bought a ton of this fabric and I really love that design. Thanks

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 4:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger amy smart said...

Mindy, don't you LOVE that fabric? I'm afraid to say I don't have a pattern for this quilt. It is probably the most random, sew-as-I-go quilt I've done so far. But it was way fun. I will say that adding the solid orange made me like it even more. A good contrast with the busy patterns.

Thank you each for your kind comments.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 1:41:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous sam said...

ok

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 5:03:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Shirley Cohen said...

I got into quilting while I was pregnant and haven't stopped sewing. I wanted to make my cribset, but there was nothing available to make it happen. I have since put together a product that is easy to do for just that reason. The fabric selections are incredible right now and offer so many possibilities for designing a fabulous baby room.

www.MakeRoomforBabykit makes it easy to make a slipcover Baby Bumper. Sewing is making a comeback and is a great time to learn from our mothers who grew up with it.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 9:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Susie said...

I love the hooped circle fabrics, what a brilliant idea, i have loads of offcuts from samples and projects and never through them away, i may well invest in some of these and fill up a blank wall.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 10:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home