Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wooden Mobiles — by Guest Mom Stephanie Brubaker



About six months ago my little family walked towards Paris' Luxembourg Gardens in search of some old-fashioned fun. En route we passed a toy store called Pentagram with a window full of gorgeously crafted wooden toys. The display was breathtaking and I ached to take a look. Thoughts of Christmas gifts danced in my head and I convinced my husband to move along without me (and take the kids!) while I perused the beautiful books and the German and French toys for a few minutes. It was heaven to be in a store full of toadstools, stacking blocks, and mobiles...and no plastic :) It took a great deal of self-control to only buy two little toys per child, especially since everything was very reasonably-priced.

Perhaps my favorite purchase was this wooden mobile I gifted my son. It depicts a mischievous little boy from Sweden named Nils, who spends his days riding on the back of a goose and discovering the world around him. I thought it perfect for my own little mischievous boy! As we discover more about Nils from the book I included with the mobile, I'd like to think my little guy will go to sleep dreaming of his own adventures. Upon further research I found other beautiful mobiles made by the same German company...Kinderkram, and was thrilled to find it possible to procure them in the US too. I think mobiles are a clever way to add visual interest to a child's room and also create a more finished look.




Here are a few other wooden mobiles I thought you might love:
Airplane Mobile

Goose Girl Mobile
Falling Stars Mobile
Flower Fairies Mobile

Find more of Stephanie at Stephmodo

Labels: , , ,

add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I LOVE that idea. I have two boys and never think of mobiles for boys rooms, but those are too cute to pass up. If I'm ever in France (keep your fingers crossed for me) I'll be sure to pick one up!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 5:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh but you don't have to be in France! All those links listed will take you to US sites :) Now that I know that myself, I may pick up another for a birthday or Christmas gift.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 9:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger pve design said...

perhaps your son needs to see the calder exhibit and let his own creativity take flight. i adore hand-made mobiles.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 7:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Julianna said...

What is that paint colour on the walls?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 1:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Julianna,

The color of the walls is "Dusk" by Restoration Hardware. It was formerly the office of my husband and he chose that color for that purpose; but, we found that it works nicely for a little boy's room too! In fact, the entire RH palette is great. We usually have the paint matched at Benjamin Moore though, just because the quality is better and once you paint, you don't want to do it again!

xo

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank you so much for that link! i'm dying to get one of these for my little one's birthday.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 2:21:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievably beautiful. I've always been a BIG fan of mobiles. Thank you for sending these our way. I will have to plan to gift them as well.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 12:51:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home