Monday, February 25, 2008

Does anyone know when the crystal balls will be issued? — By Sister Rachel



Our oldest child is a junior in high school. She is super smart and driven and has very high goals and expectations for herself. Because of her hard work she seems to have lots of choices and right now we are being inundated with brochures from colleges and universities from around the country. Although this is very exciting it is also overwhelming. So far no one as given me a crystal ball and I worry about helping her make the best choices possible. There are so many things to consider . . .




A big school where she’s on her own?
A small school where she will get lots of attention?

A prestigious school so I can brag?

A school near home or extended family where I know she won’t be alone?

Private or public?
Big city or a small town?

Will she need a car?

Will she need a part time job?
Dorms or apartment?

(Rising panic, heavy sigh!)


Liz, sister in law extraordinaire and high school counselor, posted this really great article (for me I think) on her blog a year or so ago. I have reread it several times because it helps me remember what I really want for our girl and for all our children for that matter. I want her to be happy, to continue her love of learning and be confident in her decisions. In college I want her to work hard and date a lot and laugh and stay up too late and make lifelong friendships and do things I won’t hear about until the statute of limitations has run out. I want her to take lots of classes that won’t have much of an impact on her life and I want her to take that one class that will lead her to that one thing that she will love doing or learning about and never is able to get enough of. Wow! Is that asking too much?


Wish us luck!


Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I saw that Pitzer catalog peaking out of your picture so i had to comment. I went to one of the Claremont Colleges (the one that shares sports teams with Pitzer), and I will always remember it fondly. I just loved loved loved everything about being at a small school, and have nothing but good things to say about the experience.
Best wishes to your daughter in her search!

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Aspirations In Motion said...

Wow...that article is SO touching. It is wonderful to see her perspective.

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 3:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Carey R. Piper said...

I love your view on this topic, what a great open minded mom!

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 3:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jo said...

so funny....i too saw the pitzer catalog and felt compelled to comment. i see i was not alone :) i also went to the claremont colleges and had such an incredible experience. the attention and support i got as a student at a small school along with the amazing people i met have created an experience that i truly believe brought me to the "next level" in life.
good luck to you and your daughter!

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

My son is a junior also and we've recieve many of the same catalogs and brochures as you, including Pitzer. We're hoping for a gap year between HS and college as my boy will be 16 when he graduates. Too young for going away to college, I think.

We're discussing this very topic on mid-century modern moms, where we all have kids entering college or already in college. Come and join the conversation.

http://mid-centurymodernmoms.blogspot.com/

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 8:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bek said...

Well, if she heads to Stanford, we can keep an eye on her!!! Between my husband and I we have done the small school, the big school, the Ivy Leauge and the community college. All have something to offer... I say go somewhere she can live on campus..that is where lots of the learning happens...

Monday, February 25, 2008 at 10:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger karey m. said...

this makes me cry! your hopes for her...ugh. so lovely.

best of luck on your eventual decision.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 1:17:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked going to two schools--one for the first two years, another to finish. I liked the variety. I envied a roommate who went to a different school every year (but I wouldn't want all those transcripts).

Be prepared. One of the best lessons a girl learns from her roommates is that she doesn't have to run a house just the way her Mom did. : )

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 9:38:00 AM EST  
Blogger Grandpa Mac said...

I have the 'out of state tuition' problem solved!

GO Aggies!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 6:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Mindi said...

whatever happened to kids just dropping out of school and getting a dead-end job at dairy queen? we parents used to be prepared for that kind of stuff....
rachel, you can't possibly be old enough to have a child considering college possibilities.
check the birthcertificate again!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 3:05:00 AM EST  
Blogger Jules said...

Another Claremont College graduate here--and from Pitzer, actually! I agree that it is one of 5 great colleges. The best thing about Pitzer is that while it is a small college, it is part of 5. So, you can take classes among all 5 if you like. It's a weird, yet perfect, combination of small school/big school.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 2:07:00 AM EST  
Blogger R-Eight said...

I must admit Pitzer wasn't really on Robin's short list but you've piqued our interest.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 6:54:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home