Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Halloween Costume Checklist



I'm having fun this week putting together the Halloween costumes for my kids. Last night, I finished making the embellishments for Olive's Witch and Maude's Mrs. Frankenstein. I also researched how to do a beehive hairdo for Maude. This site seem to have the clearest instructions and just seems like a cool site
(note to self: must buy some Aqua Net). Both costumes are ironed and waiting in their closets for the big festivities. Check and check.

Oscar is a werewolf and we're using Ralph's old big-bad-wolf costume. So that one's done as well. Check.


Betty will be a jack-o-lantern. I know they're pretty much available everywhere, but I actually had trouble finding something really charming in her size. So, I picked up a basic fleece option from Target. Not fantastic, but fine. I'll email some neighbors and see if anybody has anything better, but in the meantime, I'm calling this good. Check.


Ralph's Mummy costume is the only one left to make. I have a basic picture in my head of what it should look like, but started to do some research last night to find more solid instructions. There are lots of good Mummy versions out there, but I especially thought this video was great:




I've vowed to complete Ralph's costume today. I'm dying the rags in tea as we speak. Wish me luck.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Kit said...

How in the world do you do it all? This year I have a Top Gun fighter pilot (got a cool flight suit at Army/Navy surplus; still need something for head), an army guy (surplus store again; needs some embellishments), a psuedo-Power Ranger (thrift store costume for $2.50, cool mask from Lego store, must make some kind of weapon), and a dalmatian dog, wearing the costume that each has worn at this age (near 2). I'd love to see some pics of the costumes!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 1:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Montserrat said...

I was the bride of Frankenstein when I was ten. My hair was long, black, naturally curly and frizzy from the Miami humidity. To get my hair to stand up my dad had me lay upside down on the couch so my hair was hanging down to the floor. Then he painstakingly used about two cans of hairspray, spraying a section at a time, until it was stiff. When I stood up it was perfect! Such fun memories.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 4:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger breckster said...

I saw this post and had to share this trading card painting: http://reasor.blogspot.com/2007/10/bride-of-frankenstein.html

Happy Halloween!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 8:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom in Mendon said...

Great mummy video.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 12:18:00 AM EDT  
Blogger spyderette said...

i made a mummy costume for my hubby a few years back. never underestimate the power of stitch witchey and a glue gun. i did a bit of sewing, but it takes FOREVER. the costume is still holding together 5 years later.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 10:55:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home