Thursday, August 23, 2007

Home Depot Drama — by Guest Mom Debra Mitchell



With school quickly approaching I am having flashbacks from a traumatic school related incident that happened in the Spring. When summer hit, I thought I had put this crazy experience behind me, but no. I guess I just finally need to deal with it, what better way than share it.


To explain what a big deal this was to me, until this incident happened, Home Depot was one of my favorite design inspiration spots. I love utilitarian hardware, and obscure and random findings. But I will never go back after this experience. Also, this might just be the most humiliating thing that has ever happened to me — so you may not want to read it. On the other hand, feel free to enjoy a chuckle at my expense.

Ok. So I was in charge of buying supplies for the 4th grade Gold Rush (panning for gold) activity. That included buying 200 lbs of sand and 100 lbs of pebbles. I went to Home Depot and put in my cart the bags of sand and pebbles with the help of a red vest employee. At the same time I was working on getting the final touches to my website and was in the middle of a phone conference with 3 other people. Phone to my ear, it all went very smoothly through checkout — until I pushed my cart out. At the exit, there was a 1" raised area on the ground, where the pavement didn’t match up. Normally a shopping cart just bumps right over it, but I found out too late that 300lbs doesn’t just bump over anything.

This is what happened: my cart hit the (1”) wall, causing the sand and pebbles to shift to the front of the cart, causing the back wheels to lift off the ground.

So I stood there, phone still at my ear sounding as natural as I could while bracing, and holding on to the 300lbs that was soon going to go flipping out of the cart. At the same time, I am desperately trying to catch the attention of anyone that would come and help me hold on to the cart — but the 2 men in line near me just stood there with gaping mouths. I could almost see the thought bubbles over their heads saying “Wow, that shopping cart is going to flip over any second.” But no one helped! And then just as I expected, the last bag flipped forward, causing the weight to shift again, this time with such force it took the cart out of my hands. Then. . .


(This is the unbelievable part. And I risk causing some of you to think that I am not telling the truth, in fact it even made my husband, a physicist/engineer, take an academic look at it, but now all he can say is how“impressed” he is by the physics of it all.) As the cart flipped forward, one of the bottom wheels grabbed me right between the legs — lifting. The next thing I knew I was in the air. And like it goes with situations like this, everything went in slow motion, and I saw my own thought bubbles as I distinctly remember myself thinking, “My feet aren’t on the ground, I wonder what will happen next?”

At that point I’m not sure if I flipped over or just catapulted over the cart, but I was over the cart one way or another. Bruised legs and 6 feet from my purse and phone (which I should never have been on in the first place) as the 2 men continued to stand there — probably trying to believe what just happened. FINALLY someone came to help, quickly trying to get me out, I noticed. And there I stood shaking and disoriented in the parking lot, heart beating so fast. I did find my way home but I was amazed that almost an hour later my heart was still beating hard. I have since been so thankful that it wasn’t 7 years ago when I most certainly would have had a child in the seat in the cart!)


So there it is in black and white. I’m relaxing already. I think I am ready to move on.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

21 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

You had 300 lbs in your cart and they didn't have an employee help you to the car?
That's just wrong.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 9:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger lace said...

I agree with em. How would you have gotten it into your car? Aren't they supposed to help you to your car with that much load?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:13:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Anne said...

What a nightmare, although I'll be honest, I kind of wish I was there to witness the whole thing. (I promise I would have helped you!) I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. Glad you're physically healed from that ordeal. Hopefully the emotional healing comes soon! :)

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:28:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are okay!
I can't believe no one helped you! :(

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:46:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a story. You poor thing. I can't believe it took so long for someone to come over and help you.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 11:02:00 AM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hello Anne- it totally was a nightmare- and yes, I wish you were there too! Just the look on their faces- the experience- and NO ONE to talk to- so this is great- thanks for all the support!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hi Anne, Thanks! Wish I would have shared the story when it happened:) Hey if you ever spot the security video of this on YouTube PLEASE let me know- I have a feeling somebody has it somewhere!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

SO am I Julie!

That is a big box store though- But Home Depot especially! They seem to be training the employees to "conserve" I think it is called "Help Conservation"

Thanks so much for the support:)

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 11:48:00 AM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hi Em,
I totally agree! But in defense of the kindhearted employee that saw me wandering aimlessly in the lot, I gladly accepted his offer to help.... He was probably breaking some type of rule there at Home Depot:)
Thanks!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 12:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hello Lace,

I know, that is what I was thinking! It really did seem they (hypothetically speaking) just patted me on the head and said "Now Go Home"

Oh well, now I have a story to tell-
Thanks Lace!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 12:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I think I have no words.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 12:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cathi said...

Oh my goodness! Nobody could even attempt to dream up the fall you described. I am so glad you're okay. Years from now this will be a story you can hopefully chuckle at. I would hope Home Depot is liable when an accident such as yours occurs. A shopping cart rolling in a parking lot once broad sided my Suburban and the market belonging to the lot was responsible.
I know I would have run to your rescue as would have my husband, son, daughter and even my 7 year old grandson!!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Pinkjagxj,

I know, shopping carts in general are creative in the hazzards they can cause! Thanks for your kind wished!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 3:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hi Jenny,

Me too, I had no words for the longest time:)

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 3:59:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha that was an awesome story!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 4:17:00 PM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Thanks Jared- it is an awesome story that I'm glad I actually lived to tell:)!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger erin wright said...

gabby, i was tired and grumpy tonight and needed this story. laughed so hard i cried. but i am glad you are okay... remind me to tell you about how i got my foot stuck in a subway train and it started going... we could bond over that one. love you.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

Hi erin,

It looks like you are talking to Gabrielle, but I hope if it is ok to crowd in- SO happy it made you laugh- One day I would love to hear your subway story! It eases the pain when others have had a crazy thing happen as well:)

Friday, August 24, 2007 at 10:43:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hysterical! I'm laughing out loud. I mean, I'm sorry you were hurt but it IS hysterical!!

Sunday, August 26, 2007 at 12:28:00 AM EDT  
Blogger deb mitchell said...

It really does take some of the sting out of it when others get a kcik out of it- so thanks!

Sunday, August 26, 2007 at 12:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger ARM said...

I've noticed lately that many men just don't help anymore. I was assaulted in a subway and no one helped me at all. The man right next to me did nothing at all - everyone just watched. While I am all for women's lib, and I am a strong woman myself, I just don't understand why men just don't help anymore.

I am glad you are okay. For myself, I get heart palpatations every time I go into Home Depot, just from the forbidding atmosphere and lack of help. Local stores charge more, but at least I'm not in a dark warehouse surrounded by soulless, broken beings.

Monday, September 3, 2007 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home