Thursday, June 28, 2007

Book of the Week: 2 Patriotic Selections

Independence Day is so close! I'm feeling very American. I find myself humming patriotic songs and looking forward to introducing my two youngest to sparklers. So for today's Book of the Week, I've got two American themed books for you.


First, The American Story by Jennifer Armstrong. Perfect for school age kids. 100 true (and short) stories about America. From the beginning through the most recent Presidential elections. A nice thick book.


Second, John, Paul, George & Ben, by Lane Smith. Not too factual. But very clever. And I love Lane Smith. Bonus: hardcover currently on sale for $5. John as in Hancock. Paul as in Revere. George as in Washington and Ben as in Franklin. Plus Thomas Jefferson as a bonus.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger LuckyRedHen said...

We have John, Paul, George & Ben and LOVE it - so visual, the artwork is great!

Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 12:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Wicked Good Dinner said...

OMG, I'm so glad you posted about John, Paul, George & Ben. This is one of our absolute **FAVORITE** books that we picked up last year. It's brilliantly written and I love the illustrations. I wish more books were written this way - it's entertaining for both kids and adults!

For more great reads for younger children, grab some of the Mo Willems books (Mo was a writer for Sesame Street for many years + other cartoon favs you may recognize in his bio)...our favorite is "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late".

Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 11:03:00 AM EDT  
Blogger AliceK[i]ND said...

Great recommendations. Here is one of my own.... Steven Kellog's wonderful version of "Yankee Doodle." My kids (and I) love this one. The illustrations are delightful.

http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Doodle-Steven-Kellogg/dp/0689801580/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-3812740-7775016?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183273804&sr=1-2

Sunday, July 1, 2007 at 3:11:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home