Friday, April 27, 2007

Ask Design Mom: How to Wear Shortish Dresses



Ask-Design-Mom Question:
I have a submission for Ask Design Mom.
I love dresses, and I have a few that I'm crazy about except that they only come to about mid-thigh, which is too short for my comfort. One of them looks cute with jeans underneath, but the others don't work so well that way. Any ideas on how to get a little more coverage (knee length or longer) underneath, but still enjoy my darling dresses? (Both are from H&M; one a casual red-and-white knit with a polo-type collar, the other is more dressy, an adorable brown-and-white polka dot with a cowl neck.) All best, Rosalynde

Design Mom Answer:

Great question, Rosalynde. I think your instinct to layers jeans underneath a short-er dress is just right — it's a look I love, and a look that some of my most stylish friends wear frequently. But I totally understand that jeans won't always work with every dress.



So another solution that's right on the money and will solve the short-er dress problem is leggings. Look for something thicker than footless tights, but not so loose that you lose the shape of the leg. And now that the weather is warming up, you can take the legging length from ankle to just below the knee. I like this pair from Delia's, this pair at American Apparel, or Gap offers some more basic options.

If leggings aren't quite right, I suggest experimenting with other pants. If your standard jeans don't work, try a cigarette leg jean. Or maybe a pair of white sailor-cut cotton pants would look just right under your red-and-white knit.

Design Mom Readers, do you have any tricks for pulling off short dresses?

EDIT:
The question has come up in the comments about whether or not you can still pull off the leggings look if you're 35 or older. It's a great question and I think warranted an edit to the post. When I think about the women I know in the 35-45 age range and imagine them in leggings, I think Yes and No. If the idea makes you cringe, it's probably not a good look for you. On the other hand, I can think of many friends that could totally pull it off.
I say, if you're over 35 and you like the leggings look, go for it.


In fact, I just received a Garnet Hill catalog today with clothing geared toward the 30+ set, and they show two totally hip and age-appropriate excellent examples of how to pull it off.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I am all over the converse outfit! That could so work at the park, right?

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 10:56:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serious question: Can you wear leggings if you are over 35? I don't think I can pull it off.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger AliceK[i]ND said...

It depends on the dress, but sometimes you can layer another (longer) coordinating skirt underneath if it's slim enough and fits the style of the dress.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

i've seen 35+ women wear leggings with longer dresses (like mid calf) and it looks good

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 12:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Anonymous, it's a great question. I've edited the post with an answer.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 1:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Leslie said...

you could also do this, although it involves a sewing machine.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 6:08:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it out of the question to wear a skirt under the dress? Even a short one? Or a light batiste or lacy something.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 7:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Michelle said...

I've just worn this style last Saturday and I'm almost 33 years old. If you're used to dressing true to your own personal style it won't come off as awkward.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 11:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kate The Great said...

I like wearing boot-cut dance pants/yoga pants or black slacks under some dresses and skirts. Then wear outrageous flats tnat accentuate the color of the dress and not the pants and you're set!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Dang, I just don't think I could pull that off. It is so cute, but so out of the norm from my closet. Maybe this summer I need to change it up.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 11:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

that black dress over black tights inspired me to buy a similar outfit this weekend. very cute. i love the leggings that are bunched a little bit around the ankle.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 9:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom101 said...

I think it has more to do with whether your hips are 35+ (inches) than your age.

I lose on both counts though.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:32:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home