Thursday, April 26, 2007

Book of the Week: Eloise in Paris



It's not like the Eloise empire needs any love from me to keep afloat. But it occurred to me not every Design Mom Reader may be familiar with this series of books. Personally, I didn't grow up with Eloise. I discovered Eloise in Paris as I was browsing a book store when my oldest two where just babies. It was too old for them, but I bought it anyway because I was so charmed by the writing and the line drawings. And Eloise in Paris is still my favorite of the Eloise books — because Paris just comes off as fabulous, even through the eyes of a little girl. Plus, I love all the bits of french thrown in.

Eloise lives at the Plaza hotel in New York. Her parents are jet-setters, so she spends her life with an exhausted, but kind Nanny. Eloise talks really fast and gets distracted really easily. And I think the book is best when you can get in the Eloise mindset and feel a rush about life as you read it.
If I'm honest, I probably like it more than my kids.

Eloise enjoyed her 50th anniversary in 2005. Find Eloise in Paris here.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I love reading Eloise books out loud with a practiced British accent (you watch enough Mary Poppins and Hayley Mills as a kid and it comes easily), and with as few breaths as possible. I think it sorta captures the overall charm of Eloise. I certainly have a lot of fun, plus my son loves it.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marilyn said...

We love the Eloise books. I love "Eloise Takes a Bawth" and how you have to say it with the British accent. I also love, love , love the Eloise movies. Eloise at Christmastime is a classic at our house.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 6:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mamalang said...

I love Eloise. Isn't it great how books written so many years ago are still great today. My middle daughter and I love to read the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books. I read them as a girl and now I read them with her, and they were written in the 40's! I really admire a lot of the women writers from that time, because it wasn't a time that was known for allowing women to have these sorts of careers.

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 7:47:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the movies as well - very well done (nothing beats books, of course.)

Friday, April 27, 2007 at 10:40:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home