Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ask Design Mom: Refridgerator Art




Keep the good ideas flowing, it's an Ask-Design-Mom double dose today.


Question:
Hi Gabrielle, I am a new reader to your blog — I found you through a link on my daughter's blog. Now I am a fan a faithful reader. I have a spare refrigerator in my laundry room that is located at the doorway. I am not able to close the door as the kitty litter is in that room as well. I walk by the doorway frequently and would like to look at the refrigerator and smile. Can you help me out with some refrigerator art ideas. I have no children at home. Thanks, Darla

Design Mom Answer:
Hi Darla, thanks for sending in such a great question. It's interesting for me to look ahead a bit and realize my refridgerator won't always be covered with notes from school and pictures of, or by, my kids.

I'm only going to offer up one idea, but I think it's a good one. Let's cross our fingers that all the lovely Design Mom readers will join in the comments with additional clever solutions.

The idea:
In the last year or so, there are suddenly dozens and dozens of companies that are producing vinyl wall art — both pre-made and custom. There are tons of choices and styles in premade decals/wallpapers and many are gorgeous. I've featured some of the child-like versions here at Design Mom, but there are more sophisticated options as well — think silhouettes of flowers and the like. Try sources like Greener Grass Design and modern seed
(the sources of the 4 vinyls pictured) or do a search for "vinyl wall art".




And as far as custom vinyl goes, you can have pretty much anything you like cut in pretty much any color. What's your favorite poem or quote? Have the lettering cut in vinyl — in large letters — and use the words to fill up the entire fridge in a nice fresh green. Not a lettering kind of person? How about silhouettes of your children or grandchildren cut in various colors. For custom vinyl, try Vinyl Attraction or Graffiti Chic.

I hope this answer has you inspired, Darla. Good luck!

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

My mom is so cool.

I searched through a lot of those sites this morning and my personal favorite was Vinyl Attraction.

I think my mom should pay special attention to the bathroom collage or relaxing words (under gallery of ideas-bathroom) or any number of selections from their Sticky Art (flowers or fancy).

The small and large chalk dots (at modern seed) are a great idea as well. The grandkids can draw little pictures or you can leave love notes to your husband (or vice versa).

Thank you, Design Mom, for helping my mom!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 9:12:00 AM EST  
Blogger love.boxes said...

My fridge is a collage held together by little round magnets with brightly colored buttons hot glued to them. I get the freezer portion to collage on and my daughter gets the fridge. I keep favorite quotes on bright cardstock and pictures of my grandfather in his merchant marine uniform, my brothers and sisters when we were little...etc..

My daughter puts her art and school projects up. Neither of us are allowed to touch the other persons side. It's so fun and it always makes me smile.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 11:14:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WISH my stainless steel fridge held magnets although I know my husband is SO HAPPY I can't "clutter" it with stuff :)

I need to find another place to hang school art - any ideas? (this might be the topic of a whole other post)

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 11:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger Mumsy said...

Juliane--
What about a bulletin board by your computer table that you could change weekly/monthly, or a clothesline with cute clips on it? Or you could have a set of frames--one for each kid to pick their best piece of art and you could put it in the frame and display it, and also change it weekly/monthly, etc.

I like to display pictures of people I love on my fridge in a collage. It sort of can get messy looking, but it makes me happy when I see the photos.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 4:19:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Design Mom for all your wonderful ideas. I appreciate all the comments. Right now I am leaning towards a combination of a button magnet collage, the colorful dots and chalk board dots at modern seed. I like the fact that they give you a color option. I want to use more earthy colors and include a brick red to match the room color scheme. This is if I stick with that theme. I also liked the retro art as well the word art....Gee....I will send a picture when it is finished. But again THANKS! so much. Darla

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 4:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lizzy said...

if i ever have a second fridge..i'm going to try out appliance paint and give the icebox some attitude!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 6:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Christy, I agree. I've never met her, but clearly, your mom is so cool.

love.boxes, I love how you split up the art duties between fridge and freezer. Great idea.

Juliane, your new kitchen is beautiful, I can see why Jeff would want to deflect the clutter to some other room. Enjoy all those pristine new surfaces!

Lindsey, great art display ideas. You're such a cute mom!

Darla, I'm glad the ideas were helpful. Definitely send a picture when you're done!

Lizzy, appliance paint? Tell me more.

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 9:29:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home