Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A few things I love — by Guest Mom Rosalynde Welch

When you live with a thing for a while, especially a thing that you touch often, or that touches you, you start to love it. Here are a few things I love.


My camel skirt. I bought this skirt in Porto, Portugal, a few weeks before I finished my mission. It was the first thing that I ever bought from Zara — and unless the brand finds its way to red-state America, it may be the last, too! I wore the skirt on the flight home, and I’ve worn it on scores of occasions in the intervening ten years. The skirt is a suede-look microfiber, with a hint of stretch; it wears and washes like a dream, matches everything in every season, accommodates four-month pregnancies and post-partum bellies and hides it all. For this reason alone, I’ve worn it at the blessings of all three of my children!


My red bag. I’m a one-bag girl; I hate the hassle of transferring all my stuff from bag to bag, and I rarely go anywhere that would require a dressier look. I bought this bag two years ago while visiting my sister in Washington D.C.: $35 from an illegal African knock-off vendor in Georgetown. I’ve used it every day of my life since, and have loved it every time: the design is roomy but shapely, the leather has worn very well, and the color — well, you can’t go wrong with red leather. Its one flaw is the fake “Prada” tag at the top: I’m soooo not a labels person, and I hate people thinking I am.


Our blue plates. For our wedding, my husband’s great aunt gave us a gorgeous set of six of these hand-made antique porcelain dinner plates. The photo doesn’t begin to do justice to the color, which is a translucent textured aqua that just calls out to you to dive right in. The plates have a history of their own: they were commissioned by the writer Sophie Kerr in New York City in the 1910s or 20s; they were later given to the Broadway actress Leora Thatcher, who eventually presented them to our dear aunt and uncle, Edith and Floyd Morgan, in 1953. Edith and Floyd are gone now, but the plates remain.


Our ceramics. I love ceramic pottery. Lucky for me, I’m married to a sometime potter; his wheel made a wonderful end table in our very first studio apartment. The wheel is in the garage now, but some of his creations grace our mantle. I love adding to our collection: one shelf of my bookshelf-cum-china-hutch is loaded with so-so crystal vases now, but by the time we’re in our next house I’m hoping to replace them with more beauties like these. So what do you love?
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

What is it with skirts from Zara? I have a twin story: I found my ankle length, black, wool, off-centered-slit-to-knee skirt at Zara in Greece when I was 3 months pregnant with Ralph. I wear it through 3 seasons. It looks great with boots or heels. It seems to show no signs of it's nine (gasp) year age and continues to garner compliments. It's the staple of my fall/winter wardrobe.

Funny though, there's a Zara in Manhattan and I've never stepped through the door.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 11:51:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

wow. i love those blue plates. what a treasure.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 12:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Laura Gunn Studio said...

I had no idea john made those pieces of pottery. That is so neat. They're beautiful.

And as you know I love the plates. They look fabyulous in your modern kitchen.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 3:17:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few MORE things I love about Rosalynde's house are the pictures of Rodin's "The Kiss" in the guest bathroom. Gives people the right idea...

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those blue plates, too.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 2:54:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home