Friday, September 01, 2006

Pots & Pans Advice from a Non-Cook




In the last post, Sara asked for advice on buying new pots and pans. My first thought: ask her, or her, or her, or her. They each cook far more seriously than I do. But if you're the spaghetti/taco/mac&cheese kind of Mom (like myself) and you like pretty things, I can recommend some good choices.


1) I've used Magnalite Professional for the past 11 years. I know they're still making Magnalite Classic, but I don't know about the Magnalite Professional line. I have seen them on ebay, here's one
listing. The Magnalite Professional line is really heavy and not shiny — like a lighter weight dutch oven. I don't have to shine them up and they have aged beautifully.

2) Because I know you love bright colors, you could consider splurging on Le Creuset. I also know you're a bargain hunter, and you can often find pieces from their collection at TJ Maxx.

3) I've heard wonderful things about All-Clad and Calphalon (personally, I think All-Clad is prettier) — both carried by Williams-Sonoma. And I have had nothing but positive experiences with my purchases from Williams Sonoma. They guarantee everything, but they're pricey — hard to justify if you're a lightweight in the kitchen.

4) If I had to go this very afternoon and buy new pots and pans and didn't want to waste any time, I would go to Costco. Their buyer is really good and I would be confident that I was getting a great price on a mid-level to excellent set.

Good luck and let me know what you find.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger jordan said...

Martha uses All Clad Stainless Steel. I took a cooking class and they used that kind too. But they said you should have a few nonstick pieces for fish.

I got mine really cheap with my employee discount at Williams Sonoma.

Friday, September 1, 2006 at 7:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

I was just at TjmaAxx and saw some Le Crueset pieces that were really nice. They're so heavy though!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 at 2:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

My sister decided I needed new pots and pans when she saw me cooking with a warped and crooked frying pan. Luckily she has my name for Christmas! Everyone I've talked to says go with All-Clad. That's what will be getting, just can't decide on the stainless steel finish or the brushed steel. All I want is handles that don't get hot on the stove, pans that can go from stove to oven, and easy to clean.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too late to chime in? I did pan research years ago and can't quite remember what I'd been looking for. But I ended up with some wonderful all-clad pots that I love. I also have a le crueset casserole and some knock-off pans a friend found for me at a tag sale. I love these!

Best thing to look for in a pots and pans:
1. something that will conduct heat well but
2. not so well that it scorches your food immediately
3. heavy

I don't think you have to spend a fortune, but it is so well worth it to invest well in your pans.

And yet... every kitchen ought to have some cast iron. It's so cheap AND so useful, wonderful to cook with. I have a deep "dutch oven" type pan with a lid that doubles as a little pan. You can brown on it or make pillow-soft scrambled eggs.

Mmmm, pans.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 at 12:14:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home