Monday, September 25, 2006

Apple Votives for the Porch



For pretty much every Halloween of our marriage — even pre-kids — I have made these apple votives for the front porch. Easy to make. Easy to throw away (meaning nothing to store). Very inexpensive. I usually make them the day of Halloween and set them in a battered old metal tub on the porch (mix regular apples with votive apples). Added to the carved pumpkins and potted mums, they are lovely.

Lots of ways for kids to participate: fill the tub with water, pick out the apples, put the apples in the water, etc.

Because there is nothing particulary Halloweeny about them, I like these for any fall evening gathering. They make a simple greeting for a dinner party or even Thanksgiving.

Just watch out for flammable costumes. Find directions here.
add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that idea, Gabby. Just beautiful.

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 12:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to do this, Gabby. Great idea. Thanks.

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 1:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great idea! Makes me really miss the costume parties at the cabin of years past. . . sigh

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 2:48:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hosting bunco this month and I need something for my front porch. This is just right.

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 3:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

Love that idea....

What is Bunco and why does everyone play? Is it great? Should I start a Bunco club....?

Are you familiar w/ Design Public? I am sure you are...but they have a devine rocking chair right now...and that teal dresser...my sister has one almost like it from the 70's...I called it for the kids room...

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

Ooops...here is the link....

http://www.designpublic.com/shop/baby

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wonderful! I love it!

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 4:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

that is so freakin cute!

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 8:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Girl con Queso said...

Ooo! I love it! Great idea. This definitely gets me in the mood for fall!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 9:51:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home