Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Go Make This Right Now



We had our first taste of Pinkberry (a tart, really yummy frozen yogurt) not too long before we moved from New York, and we were instant fans. There's no Pinkberry in our new neighborhood, but our Sabey cousins hooked us up with FroYo during our first few days in Colorado and it's hit the spot nicely. As our addiction has developed, I've been curiouser and curiouser about making our own frozen yogurt. So Sunday night, I looked up a recipe, realized we had everything we needed in our kitchen (whole milk yogurt, cheesecloth and sugar), and went to work.

We prepped the yogurt Sunday evening, stirred the ingredients and chilled them Monday morning, and by 11:30 we were eating the best frozen yogurt I've ever tasted. Seriously. It was so good. Soooooooo good. Go make some right this minute. You're welcome in advance.

The recipe (and image) I found is at 101 Cookbooks, from an aptly titled blog post: A Frozen Yogurt Recipe to Rival Pinkberry's (FYI: the 101 Cookbooks author, Heidi, made some notes which I followed — skipping the vanilla and using only 2/3 cups sugar.)

---------------------

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Heidi notes: First off, remember it is important to use good-quality whole-milk yogurt. The version in David's book is Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. This time around I skipped out on the vanilla, opting for straight, bright white yogurt with the sweetness playing off the tang of the yogurt. I also used slightly less sugar than called for here, more like 2/3 cup - but you can go either way depending on what you like.

-3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
-3/4 cup (150g) sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.

Makes about 1 quart.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

13 Comments:

Blogger megan said...

Love this recipe we make it all the time. I have even used splenda sugar and it doesn't change taste or texture. Healthy yummy treat!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 3:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Mixing Bowl Mama said...

I, too, have made this with great success - I love making frozen yogurt. We're gearing up to make some peach frozen goodness this weekend.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 4:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Barbie said...

Oh YUM. I am so excited to try this! I'm in love with plain tart at my local FroYo wannabe. Now if I could only get my hands on some mochi balls to top it off--that would rock my world.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 6:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger charkstudios said...

My ice cream machine is gathering too much dust...I will make this recipe with my favorite organic yogurt...yuuuummmy!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 6:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Miggy said...

So I have a question...if you get whole milk yogurt, do you still have to strain it? It sounds like greek yogurt does not need to be strained, but other yogurt does....I'm just confused on which needs the straining!

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 3:17:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I'm not sure which neighborhood in Colorado you live in, I live in downtown Denver, and my husband and I are currently addicted to Kuulture fro-yo (in Writers Square, Larimer and 15th St). Only today did I see another recipe for fro-yo and now I'm dying to try yours too, because Kuulture (a Pinkberry knock-off) is getting waaaaaay too much of my budget for stilettos.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 5:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Erin @ Sprouted In the Kitchen said...

101 Cookbooks! I've been a pretty loyal reader for several years, especially since I'm a food blogger, too. And I'll admit that this has been on my radar...I just haven't been convinced yet to try *plain* yogurt frozen. I eat it non-frozen, but my husband finds it pretty tangy. Perhaps worth it, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 11:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

Just made this -- used greek yogurt and 3/4 tsp of lemon extract -- fantastic!

Friday, August 21, 2009 at 1:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you find yourself in Boulder, Ce Fiore is awesome (ala Pinkberry). It is on 14th Street between Pearl St. & Walnut. Yum!

Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 2:27:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I *HEART* Pinkberry. Too bad they aren't in Austin. Need to try this recipe with my ice cream machine.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 10:35:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought an ice cream maker -will have try this recipe soon!

Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 2:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Nicole Feliciano said...

I do a little foodie link/recipe swap on Fridays. Hope you'll join in the fun!

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/08/friday-feast-momtrends-summer-chicken.html

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 11:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Afton said...

Ahhhh! You have no idea how excited I am to see this post. I just moved to CA and discovered pinkberry but have only gone twice since it costs us a small fortune. I've been meaning to look up a recipe since I love the flavor. I seriously squeeled and grabbed my husband's shoulder when I saw your post. Any ideas for adding flavors? I love their pomegranite flavor.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 1:26:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home