Monday, March 23, 2009

The Virtues of (Meal) Planning Ahead — by Guest Mom Jora



If you have a family to feed, I cannot extol the virtues of planning meals ahead enough. I know this is easy for some of you….you are planners by nature. This sort of thing maybe even excites you a little. You can make dinners on a weekend, freeze portions ahead of time and pull little packages out during the week: Turkey Chili, anyone? Cheese Enchiladas? Beef Stew? I personally don’t have the foresight or the freezer space to take meal-planning that far.


But getting a list of dinner ideas together on Sunday night is a very, very good thing indeed (to quote Martha). I find it is the only way to feed your family a variety of interesting meals while not driving yourself crazy with the 5 o’clock panic. You don’t have to plan anything fancy and don’t feel pressure to come up with new things all the time (unless that is what makes you happy). Plenty of moms I know do the “Taco Tuesday” and “Friday Pizza Night” thing. The point is, think ahead, shop ahead, and meals will be more enjoyable to prepare and to eat. On my blog, I try to post "Meal Planning Monday" each week. I find this keeps me on track.

I’ll admit I was reluctant to switch over to this sort of cooking. Before kids, I prided myself on living (what I thought was, anyway) a very European lifestyle: shopping almost each day for fresh foods and cooking spontaneously. And that, my friends, is a fine way to live, should you have all sorts of time on your hands and no dependents to take care of. I am guessing that is not your situation if you are reading Design Mom, however.

I’m not going to give you a list of menu items and recipes (even though I am tempted!), because each family is different in their tastes. You know what you like and what your family will eat. But I will share one idea with you. We could eat salads almost every night in our house, and I know that’s true for many of my friends and their families. The trick is to, again, plan ahead so that you have the makings of a fresh and interesting salad at your fingertips. So, I recommend buying the lettuces you like and washing and drying them for the week. Just wrap the clean leaves in paper towels and store in plastic bags. Then (and this is the important part), make a good homemade dressing or two (it really makes a big difference!), and maybe even some croutons.

Herbed Buttermilk Dressing
from The Gourmet Cookbook

1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
½ c. mayonnaise
2 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T. chopped fresh chives
1 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. It will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. But it will be gone before then. Trust me.


Parmesan Balsamic Vinaigrette
from The Gourmet Cookbook

This is my son’s favorite dressing. He calls it “the brown dressing.” Not very appetizing-sounding, I realize…. He will dip just about anything in it, which is handy for getting him to eat his veggies.

1 garlic clove
½ t. salt
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 t. fresh lemon juice
3 T. minced fresh basil (optional)
¼ c. finely grated parmesan cheese
¼ t. freshly-ground black pepper
½ c. olive oil

Using a large heavy knife, mince and mash garlic to a paste with salt. Whisk garlic paste with vinegar, lemon juice, basil, cheese and pepper in a bowl. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended. Add more salt and pepper to taste. This will keep for a week or more covered in the refrigerator.


Croutons
Homemade croutons are super easy and much tastier and cheaper that buying them at the store.

Cube or tear day-old bread into small pieces. You can use a nice crusty European-style loaf, but honestly, if you use the Honey Wheat Sandwich Bread from Trader Joe’s (or something similar), that will taste great too.

Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (You can get fancy with herbs or parmesan cheese or such, but it really isn’t necessary.) Bake in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for about 10 or 15 minutes (or until slightly crisp and golden). Give the croutons a stir or two while they are baking.

Let cool completely before tossing with your salad. Store the cooled leftovers in a zip-top bag.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

15 Comments:

Blogger Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

I'm a big believer in planning ahead. I make a weekly menu and post it to my blog Sunday night. I usually do the shopping for the next week the Thurs or Fri before so I don't have to spend Saturday doing that sort of thing.

The dressing recipes sound really good! Thanks!

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah Bradley said...

My mom did meal planning growing up. She'd shop on Fridays and even have the menu up on the fridge for everyone to see. She'd ask for suggestions as to what we wanted for the upcoming week while she was making the grocery list (within reason- tacos, chili, hamburgers etc). Looking back, we really loved it, and I must say that I know it saved her both time and money.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah Bradley said...

Oh and I forgot to say- thanks for the dressing recipes. I'm going to try them both!

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Leigh said...

I have yet to really get my act together and implement a regular weekly meal plan, but I love the idea of it and I am so motivated and inspired by your example, Jora!

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Anna said...

We also plan out our meals and post them on a chalkboard. That way I'm not trying to remember what all the ingredients are for when it's dinner time! I still struggle with finding a regular (and consistent) time to go grocery shopping.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger 180360 said...

YAY! More Jora. :)

I'm also a fan of meal planning. There is something exciting about sitting down with your cookbooks and going through them each week. I make all of my own croutons and dressings, too. They are so much better than purchased ones and take no time at all to make.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 4:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Buby + Bleu said...

Thank you for this. I am still stuck in the European Living routine with two small children. Totally worked for us when we lived in the city, but not so much anymore. I need some motivation to plan ahead.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 4:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

We've started making our own bread and while I love the fresh loaf, it also makes for great croutons the next day. It makes a salad (IMO).

Thanks for the dressing recipes. I think I can even work those in this week.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 5:21:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some extra buttermilk in the fridge from a cake I made, and I was wondering what to do with it! I'm going to have to try this dressing!

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 9:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Heather said...

My life has totally changed since I started planning our meals ahead of time and shopping once a week. Definitely going to try the "brown dressing" - we're salad folks too. Thanks!

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 11:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't want to try Jora, I loved your salad from last summer with the grilled peaches.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 11:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

that salad looks SO good right now! yumm
xox

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 8:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said...

Once you make a salad with the brown dressing and croutons, it will be hard to do it any other way. Take it from me. I just polished off my first batch (shook it up on a jar and stored it in the fridge) and I'm totally jonesing now!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 11:17:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not one for salads, but I decided to give your homemade dressing a try (the balsamic one), and I've eaten large salads the past three days. That dressing is DELICIOUS -- even toddler and husband approved! Yay Guest Mom Jora! Next trip to the market, I'll pick up the ingredients for the buttermilk dressing!

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have been meal planning for years, and with three little ones, I don't know what I would do without a plan each week. Recently my husband created a website for me that has really helped me speed up the meal planning process and forget less stuff at the grocery store. The website is www.plantoeat.com. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 6:53:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home