Friday, March 20, 2009

Book Day for the Ladies



I came home from SXSW to a stack of books that had arrived in the mail. It's been great this week to check them out. Here are the favorites from the stack. All of them happen to be quite girly. So I'm calling this a Book Day for the Ladies.





First, let me introduce you to Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts. If you are a crafter, a maker, a creator, an artist — this is your new bible. It is big. It is hefty. I took a photo of the spine to show you the textbook thickness of this volume. And it is full of every tip, trick and idea it is possible to have as a human being. There are templates. Photos. Diagrams. It's from Martha, so you know it's perfect. It will be available for sale starting March 31st, but you can
pre-order a copy here.




Next up:
The Double-Daring Book for Girls. A follow-up volume to the endlessly charming and informative Daring Book for Girls. This double daring book has kept Maude busy all week folding secret messages, making teeny-tiny worry dolls and learning the art of furoshiki. I love these books and was so pleased when I heard there was a second one. They are the ideal cure for rainy day or summertime boredom.

Double Daring will be released next week. You can pre-order your copy here. Oh. Also, in case you hadn't heard, the two girl volumes were actually a followup to The Dangerous Book for Boys. You'll want them all. I promise.




Now. Let's talk about The Farm Chicks. The Farm Chicks have a great little shop full of great little items. They sponsored a giveaway here on Design Mom awhile back and everybody ooohed and aaahed over their pretty wares. And now, they've written a book: The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen. Recipes. Ideas. And some of the prettiest food photography you're likely to see. It's snowy and rainy here today. To make up for that fact, we intend to try out one of their delicious-looking recipes.



Last up. The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green. A very useable guide, with practical ideas and smart information. Perfect if you're getting overwhelmed by all the green-speak out there.

What about you. What are you reading that you love? Any book recommendations?

PS — Another girl book that I haven't seen in person yet, but I want to get my hands on: True Mom Confessions: Real Moms Get Real — whenever I read the True Mom Confessions website, I find it heartbreaking, fascinating, endearing and addictive all at the same time. I'm betting the book creates the same drama.

add to kirtsy

14 Comments:

Blogger Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

The first "green" book I read was Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style, by Christie Matheson. I loved it!

Currently reading The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 12:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Barb said...

I'm reading Courtney Kendrick's book, C Jane Enjoy It, and Kathryn Soper's book, The Day the Son and I Were Born. Both are excellent!

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 1:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

I'm reading Pippi Longstocking with my daughter, which is fun, but not what you had in mind, I don't think. Oh, and I've been leafing through the Nantucket Open House cookbook for a party I'm having next month.

Martha's Craft Book and the Farm Chicks are both on my wish list. Coincidentally, I just added the Farm Chicks book to my bookstore reminder list today!

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 3:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carol F. said...

I am reading "The Mom's Guide to Growing Your Family Green" right now, also! Mine just arrived in the mail. I am excited!

I love anything Martha Stewart. But right now I am also reading "The Last Patriot". Great, intense action book. My husband loved it. I am reading it for a book club.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 5:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hilary said...

I'm putting Martha's book on my b-day wish-list!

One that these remind me of is I like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris.

It's hilarious, but also pretty informative. That lady is too funny.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 5:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy L said...

I'm reading Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time by by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. It's the most inspiring story I've ever read. Greg Mortenon has made tremendous sacrifices in his own life in order to build schools for girls in some of the most remote and poorest regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 7:02:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harry Potter!! WooHoo! I'm very much into fiction. I've just started reading the whole series once again. I basically grew up with Harry, and it's very cute to read all their fights and everything once again.

I've read The Daring Book for Girls; it's very entertaining, and a fun read.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 7:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

Oh Martha, you've done it again, wooing me into your life. And the Farm Chicks book, I hear is amazing.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 11:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristy said...

I finally got around to reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I'm in love. It makes me want to write letters, live on an island, write books, look for seashells...I'm on my second go-through, collecting favorite quotes.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 9:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

oh boy, i think i'm gonna have to get that encyclopedia of crafts!

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 1:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no a new amazon order is coming out of my house today! with lots of these in it!!!

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 4:29:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to get my hands on Martha's craft back. I hardly every buy hardcover anymore but I know this one will be worth it.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 10:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Elayne said...

SOOOO jealous that you got an advance copy of the MS Craft Encyclopedia! I am psyched. A bit pathetic, perhaps, but I am, all the same. ;)

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Melissa Banigan said...

I can't wait to get my hands on the 'Farm Chicks in the Kitchen' book! Thanks to reading about it on your post, I'll be picking it up soon! I don't think my roommates will mind at all if I go through another pie-making phase...

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 5:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home