Monday, December 29, 2008

What's Next



Do you get as excited about goals and New Years Resolutions as my family does? Jordan is thinking about her list. Jared and Liz are thinking about their lists too. No doubt the rest of my non-blogging siblings also have goals on their minds.


I'm right there with them, working on my own list for 2009. I'm also looking at the calendar and thinking about what's coming whether I make a list or not. For example:

In January, the Stanley siblings and spouses are taking a trip to Mexico. 10 days. No kids. We are going to Tulum. There are no words to describe how much I'm looking forward to this trip. Coolest part — this trip is a treat from my brother Jared. May you all have little brothers as generous as mine.

In February, I'll be heading to Houston to speak at and participate in the Mom 2.0 Summit. Hopefully, you're coming too. Because I'd love to meet you.

In March, I'll be at SXSW. Partying with the kirtsy girls. Possibly even introducing our new book. Plus I'll be making a trip to Boulder for the very high-tech wedding of Gwen Bell.

Other things on my mind:
- I've started a long overdue site redesign for Design Mom. Thinking about this a lot. A lot. A lot.
- For Christmas, Ben Blair gave me my first real camera. A Canon 50D. I want to learn to use it well.
- Josh & Erin sent us the much-talked-about-book In Defense of Food. I hope it will be a starting point for better eating in our home.
- I'd like to start some kind of regular exercise program. I have no idea what this will be. But it's embarrassing how little exercise I currently get.
- For much of my adult life I wrote really good thank you notes. But then I stopped. Maybe 2009 will be my thank you note comeback.

What's on your mind for 2009?

Lovely calendar from Orange Beautiful. Spotted on Decor8's yummy and useful calendar roundup.

add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger dana said...

I love your list of resolutions. They seem realistic and well-rounded.
My list includes some of yours:
* learn to use the REAL camera I got for Christmas
* get some exercise

I'll add:
* FINALLY get my website/shop back up and running after a year hiatus from having my little boy.

Happy New Year!

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 8:38:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should run a marathon along with me, we can be online running partners :) Now only if I can run it online...

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 8:50:00 PM EST  
Blogger PunditMom said...

Feb. get together, check. SXSW, check. My own site redesign, check.

Some new political mom projects ... they're coming!!

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 9:01:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've reminded me about resolutions. I need to start thinking about mine. BTW, that is a really great calendar.

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 9:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Loralee and the gang... said...

I love your blog...but since I'm over 40, and the eyesight is failing (tiny haha) I'd love the text in your blog to be a little larger. Take it or leave it, but that's my wish for your blog.
:D

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 10:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger knitnut said...

My list for 2009 includes a major redo of my website also. And expand my business to include at least one joint venture. Take a great vacation with my hubby. Take a great vacation with girl friends. Also, learn some fair isle or intarsia knitting, and take up sewing again.

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 11:20:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to love In Defense Of Food. Good, thoughtful stuff.

Also try (if you haven't already) - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Same message and info, but more fun to read.

Monday, December 29, 2008 at 11:47:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an awesome calendar. I wouldn't be surprised if you designed it yourself! I don't make any new years resolutions. I mean, if I want to do something, like lose weight, I'll start immediately and not wait till the new year. But that's just me. :)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 12:39:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@loralee:

hit cmd(ctrl) and the + sign and it will get bigger.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 1:06:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pre-adolescent daughter and I are working on balancing out our emotions togther. Our most obvious change--smile!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:13:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea SXSW had all of that other stuff involved! I think our first trip to Texas this year is going to be a couple weeks earlier than I was planning. One resolution oif mine for the new year: don't go out of town so much. We made 6 trips to San Antonio last year. That's 17 hours round trip. Way too much time to be in the car. But SXSW would be totally worth it!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:14:00 AM EST  
Blogger joolee said...

"In Defense of Food" is fabulous!! I have definitely changed some eating habits with my family due to reading it. Enjoy! Another great read is Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". she has inspired me to plant a LARGE garden this spring! (easier said than done...) :) Happy NEw YEar!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 11:28:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my list:
*get my professional website up and running. thought it would be done by now but it's tough.
*get the new 5D Mark II.
*volunteer with some sort of group to offer free photography session for someone/somehow.

not sure where you are in NY - i'm in westchester but would love to help you learn your camera.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 1:42:00 PM EST  
Blogger Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I ordered that calendar as a little gift to myself and ADORE it! It is even more lovely in person, if that is possible!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 8:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kelly said...

I read In Defense of Food and it totally changed how I eat and more importantly what I buy at the grocery store. I have felt better this year doing it.

Looks like you had a good Christmas!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 2:58:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Defense of Food is great! I really loved it. And the Barbara Kingsolver book is on my list, too. And I thought of you when I went to see the Twilight movie! And Happy New Year!! 2009 is completely going to rock!!

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 7:22:00 AM EST  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Your list of resolutions is fantastic. I relate to your "thank you" note one. I usually am so good about that, but I've been negligent this year. I'd like to be better about that in 2009.

And I'd like to run in a 5K before the year is up. Our second baby is due in March so maybe I'll be ready by early fall?

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 8:40:00 PM EST  
Blogger Christy said...

Wow I love your list. And I loved that calendar so much I just went over to etsy and bought myself one - had been looking for a good calendar for my home office. Love it. Have fun on your childfree mexican vacation. May we all have little brothers like yours!!!

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 12:38:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home