Monday, December 22, 2008

More Homemade Christmas 2008



Olive has been working on gifts for her siblings over the weekend. She's especially happy with the headbands she made for Maude and Betty. We think the creamy-colored one will coordinate perfectly with the tutu Ralph made. I'm super happy with them too. And already have plans to borrow them.




Materials: we bought a 3-pack of black headbands at Target for about $3. We bought fake flowers, for $3 to $4 per stem, and coordinating ribbon for $1 per roll from Michaels. Each headband will use between 1 and 2 yards of ribbon. Total materials for 3 headbands was less than $20. Just for comparison, a similar headband, like this darling one at CrewCuts is $16.50.



To make: wrap the head band in ribbon using a hot glue gun to attach. We had the best luck keeping the ribbon smooth by starting it at each end of the headband and meeting where the flower would be placed.
Once the headband is completely covered in ribbon, it's time to add the flower.



Pull the flower off of it's stem, and trim the remaining plastic so that the bottom of the flower is flat. In front of a mirror, put on the headband and move the flower around until you're happy with placement. Mark where your want to place the flower with a pencil (the pencil mark will be covered by the flower). Attach the flower with hot glue. Done.



This is an incredibly fast project. And the headbands turned out beautifully.
The fake flowers we bought each came with a large bloom and a small bloom. We didn't want the small blooms to go to waste, so as an afterthought, we glued them to small barrettes. Cute.



For Ralph, Olive made chocolate-chip-cookies-in-a-jar. For Oscar, Olive is going to do something cool with pencils — I'll try to post pics soon. To see more gifts my kids made, you can go here.

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

24 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

My daughter has the headband from Crewcuts and wears it in regular rotation. She loves it. This is a great DIY version. Very doable--even for a 6 year old. You have some good crafters in your clan.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 10:46:00 AM EST  
Blogger e said...

thanks for the great inspiration on handmade gifts this year, Gabrielle. My husband is especially happy about the thoughtful, budget friendly gifts being made! We've decoupaged a bucket with basketball scrapbook paper for my son, Berk. And my Charlotte Blair will be donning the cutest tutu ever on christmas morning. All we have left to do is put the finishing touches on the apron for Stella!

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 11:42:00 AM EST  
Blogger Semi Granola Mom said...

Those turned out beautiful.
~C

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 12:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oooh. Pretty. Want.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM EST  
Blogger WM said...

I am so impressed with all these fun ideas you have for diy Christmas presents. Thank you for not only showing us what your kids made, but how they made them! Merry Christmas!

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 1:19:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.inspirecompany.com/giftaday.html

This type of charm bracelets could be a fun thing for kids to make as gifts. And they could be personalized for each recipient.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Artfulife said...

What a lovely idea. Very kid friendly too. I will have to try this craft with my daughter.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 4:40:00 PM EST  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh, this is going in my favs..we will def make these for b-day gifts!

Happy Holidays~

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 5:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger CWDkids said...

What wonderful handmade gifts for children to make. This is a great way to keep little hands busy over the holiday!

Kidbits Blog by CWDKids
http://kidbits.cwdkids.com/

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 6:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

Wow, those are gorgeous! I'm definetly going to steal this idea. I've loved all of your handmade gift ideas for kids and I'm hoping next year to be organized enough to get my kiddos involved in this. And what a great way to spend the day one on one with the kids.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 6:25:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Great idea! I've stumbled it.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bethany said...

I wish I was getting one of those for Christmas :) They are amazing! Good job girls!

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 9:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jenni said...

so pretty, gabby.

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 9:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love these. I think I'm going to make a couple for myself. Thanks for the idea!

Monday, December 22, 2008 at 11:39:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These headbands are beautiful! My girls are 2 and 4, so I doubt they would be able to do this, but with lots of little girl friends who love dress up, these would make great birthday presents year-round. Great idea!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 1:06:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're awesome!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 1:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Sam and Josh said...

Very cute and how fun to make it yourself. I will have to remember this for next year for my daughters friends. I love it.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 10:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are gorgeous, I can't wait to make some! I'll be linking to this post as well.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM EST  
Blogger Zaz said...

tres joli, what you make, i alreay wear a rose in my hair, so will try the "barrette" idea.

Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 6:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Retro Mod Momma said...

How gorgeous. I will make this for my niece when she is older. Great idea. Your site is so lovely. Thanks for the inspiration

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 11:47:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just cutted of my hair, right now I need a cool headband to look more feminine and this is what I'm looking for

Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 10:51:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I just found you from Leigh Anne's blog and I can't wait to explore all your posts!

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:35:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Esther Chong said...

Wow these headbands are amazing! My friends and i have been looking for headbands with these over the top bows or flowers and this is exactly it! it's so simple and affordable, unlike anthropology, selling headbands easily for forty dollars. Thank you for showing me such a easy way to create such a cute/one of a kind look!

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 1:13:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous hair clips said...

Great idea! These headbands are beautiful. I will try to make one, a great way to keep my hands busy. :)

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 12:37:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home