Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vacation Week Two



The week is slipping by at ultra-light-speed. Here's a quick catch-up on what we've done since I last reported:

Friday

We BBQ'd at Jared & Liz's house in the Avenues where we loved meeting handsome baby Hank! Liz really knows how to put a menu together. Jared really knows how to work the BBQ. And their house is gorgeous. We miss them in New York but think that Salt Lake City is lucky to have them.

After dinner we went to the park to see the Muppet Movie/Blog Meetup. The movie was as charming as I remembered. But. It was only a tiny bit charming compared to the lovely bloggers that came by our blanket to say Hello. What fun! Thank you for coming ladies!! It was a delight to meet you and I was sad the movie started so soon and cut off our happy conversation.


Saturday

We took off on a road trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. This was our first visit to Steamboat Springs and both Ben and I were tempted to relocate immediately. I almost had myself convinced that I love to snow ski because the little chalets were so appealing.

We met our super-cool Sabey cousins at the hotel and after a quick dip in the pool headed to the Steamboat Springs Rodeo. Can you think of a better Saturday night activity than bucking broncos, barrel racing and bull riding? My hometown is a rodeo town but I hadn't been to one in over a decade. I loved it so much. It made me crazy homesick.


Sunday
The whole clan of cousins hiked to a gorgeous waterfall near Steamboat and held a family-version of our typical church meetings there on the mountain. Then we all talked and talked and talked until everybody absolutely had to drive away to get home in time to start the new work week. Sadly, I could have used another week of non-stop conversation with the Sabeys to take the edge off my Sabey cravings. Happily, they make a very compelling argument for moving to Denver. Maybe we'll end up as neighbors. . .

When we said good bye, we knew there was a 9 hour drive to St. George ahead of us. So we made plans to stop at Green River, Utah for the night. A good halfway spot. At Green River I discovered something about myself: It doesn't matter how expensive the hotel is, what brand it is, or what amenities it offers. If it's new, then I like it. Period. We stopped at a Holiday Inn Express that was so new that I swear I could still recognize the scent of construction and we were contented and beyond with our stay.

I even took a camera-phone photo of the toiletries because the packaging was well designed and I wanted to somehow let the hotel know that I appreciated the effort. I'll try to post it next week.

Monday through Thursday
When we woke up in Green River we at a yummy breakfast at the hotel and headed straight to St. George, Utah. My beloved hometown.

By Monday, we were such weary travelers that we have done nothing since arriving here but swim, eat and sleep — and fill every available second with cousins.


It was fun to see where Josh and Erin live — what a great house! It was also fun to discover that St. George now boasts an In-N-Out Burger. And as always, it's satisfying to have lots of good discussions with the Urquharts. I think my only official outing has been a trip to the local Target. It's my favorite — so well stocked! so well staffed!


We drive to Las Vegas tomorrow morning to catch our plane. It has been a wonderful trip. It will be good to be home.

Fantastic vintage sign photo from the St. George flickr pool.

add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger hanner said...

Green River cracks me up. We always stay there the night before the Moab Half Marathon, and we've lucked out most of the time with accommodations. However, one year my dad forgot to make reservations in time and we had to stay at a truck stop out there, where one of the amenities was "internet" but really meant "we have one computer from 1995 in our lobby, there's usually an old man occupying it and looking at questionable sites, and PS, our staff members are all 15 years old."

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 6:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Emily said...

Wow, I haven't seen that sign for years! The instant I saw it though i was taken back years to the good ol' days in St. George. Thanks!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 6:57:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes things feel so clean and nice when it is new :) THere is something about that.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ali said...

The Holiday Inn Express in Cedar City isn't quite as new but is equally as fresh and wonderful. Besides, my kids love the cookies they are always baking in the lobby.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 11:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Allysha said...

Hope your trip home is nice and uneventful! Sounds like the family vacation was a success!

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 10:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bonny said...

great meeting you at the muppet movie! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us :)

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

‘CONCERNED’ PARENTS ATTACK CONVICTED ARMED ROBBER FOR CONTROVERSIAL LYRICS
While serving time in multiple Wisconsin State prisons for the Robbery and Kidnapping of a City of Milwaukee detectives daughter, Newt Turner, CEO of G Livin Entertainment, designed the blueprint for an entertainment company called, “G-Livin” – which is known for its’ empowering and inspirational ideology. But now his movement is has been widely criticized by music executives, critics, religious organizations and parents for its’ graphic and violent subject matter.

He says, " I feel like if majority of Americans can accept these pedophile Catholic priests molesting and raping their children, then I should be able to heal those emotional scars through my music and literature, without censorship issues.”
A mother of four from Raleigh, North Carolina – who asked to remain anonymous said, “The song, “TeenAnger” should be banned from radio and stores. If the government allows him to release that music, then he should be liable for any violence children may commit after listening to it.”

“These whacked out parents don’t understand the mentalities and the emotional needs of their own children, said Newt. They don’t take the necessary time to learn about what they created. There are reasons why kids go to school and shoot everybody up. There was a reason my homegirl blew her head off her shoulders. There is a reason why a three year old girl starts crying when you leave her alone with her grandfather. I am just giving you the reasons why.”

“I don't care what people may say or think about who I am, what I am or what I am about. I refuse to let the opinions and comments of others deter me from my mission and vision. I’m always gonna stand up for what I believe in, even if I’m the only one standing”

Time Waits For No One: The First Gospel is a graphic and terrifying entry gate into a world we have never seen in music or literature. It’s a world of child abuse, sex, betrayal, ambitious lust, violence, revenge and the imprisonment of mind body and soul.

It is scheduled to be released the fall of 2008.

Follow this link to view the video Teen Anger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLD3b9_8iPg

Julian Jen
Freelance Writer

Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 11:22:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that all sounds so incredibly wonderful!!! So glad to hear you and your family are having such a great vacation. :)

Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 2:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Angie said...

We used to live in St. George nd it is my hubby's hometown. This made me feel all nostalgic and start checking to see if there are any airline sales. Thanks.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 12:53:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home