Friday, July 18, 2008

5-Minute Make-Up — by Guest Mom Jane Maynard

I like looking nice, doing makeup, hair, all that girly stuff. But I usually have just enough time to throw my hair into a ponytail and run out the door. Needless to say I have mastered the art of 5-minute makeup. And I love the products I use, so here you go!

Step 1: Conceal
The biggest reason I put any makeup on in the first place is to cover up red spots/blemishes and make myself look less tired. There are a few products I use for this “conceal” step that do just that.




1. Concealer. Bare Escentuals Bisque Multi-tasker (you’ll use a different color than bisque if your skin is darker than mine) with the Bare Escentuals Concealer Brush. I apply the multi-tasker directly to my trouble spots and then blend out with the brush. Using a brush is key with concealer. It’s worth the extra investment.




2. Loose Powder or Bronzer. I use a light bronzer. Just a little bit all over to blend the rest of my face in with the spots I’ve concealed (I apply a little more to the temple/top of my cheek bone area). My favorite bronzer is from Stila. If you don’t want any sparkle, just get a loose powder 2 shades darker than your skin. If you don’t want to bronze, just use a loose powder matched to your skin tone.




3. Cream concealer on eyes. This is my FAVORITE makeup trick. I always apply a cream concealer or foundation (whatever I happen to have on hand) to my eyelids. It covers up all those little veins, makes you look more awake, and helps eye shadow go on smoothly and stay put. When I apply, I spread a little to under my eyes as well.


Step 2: Cheeks & Eyes




1. The Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick is the best thing ever. I use the the Bronze Shimmer brick for my cheeks and eyes. Just brush a bit on my cheeks (right on the apples and brush straight back towards the tops of your ears). On my eyes, I use the darkest shade in my crease, the lightest shade right under my brow, and the shade closest to the lightest shade on the lid. Here’s a picture of my well-loved Shimmer Brick to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.




Normally I stop here, but if I want to look even more awake, I will throw on some mascara. But I HATE mascara, so that hardly ever happens. When I do wear it, my favorite is the Everything Mascara by Bobbi Brown.




Oh, and I do curl my eyelashes. Make sure you start curling at the base of the lash, and then curl it about three times, moving up the lash. If you just curl once near the base, you’ll get a funny lash crease.


Step 3: Lips

I almost always skip step 3. But my favorite quick lip trick is the Shimmer Stick from Origins. It doubles as a pencil & lipstick, doesn’t feel to heavy on and looks great. Lucky Penny is my favorite color.



Please feel free to share your favorite makeup trick or product!

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great tips for a beginner like me. thanks.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 9:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

This is the PERFECT PERFECT post for me and what I needed right now :) I am going to go buy a couple of those.

vanessa from www.inevergrewup.net

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 12:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

oh, I'm so glad this is helpful! I love these products so much, I just had to share them. good luck, ladies!

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 3:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Shimmer bricks are my absolute favorite, too! I seriously could not live without them. When I was pregnant, I was always complimented on my glowing skin. I took the compliments happily, but I know the glow was compliments of the Shimmer brick, not me!

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 12:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger angie said...

i'm all about taking less than 5! thanks, jane! but, i'll have to look into the shimmer bricks!

Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

we have a friend who seriously has a "glowing" personality. she is an angel. she's the one who told me about the shimmer brick...the big joke after that was she really isn't THAT amazing, she just wears the right make-up. (ps - she really IS that amazing.) so funny people commented on that when you were pregnant, erin - made me laugh!! :)

angie - you've gotta try it out!

Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 2:29:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tausha said...

I love this blog!! I love it!! Did I mention that i love this blog?? Great find and tips!! Hope to be back sooner than later!!

Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 1:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great tips, I have to add one of my favorites not listed. Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. It does triple duty. It evens out skin tone, moisturizes, and has and SPF. Hello....thats what we need in these hot summer days. It's not stinky, and it feels light on your skin. Enjoying your post.

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 9:52:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sara said...

Shimmer bricks rock. If I go on vacation, all I need is a beige shimmer brick, mascara and Dr. Pepper lipsmacker.

When I was pregnant, people would always compliment me on my "pregnant glow" on the days I used the shimmerbrick!

I also use mineral makeup, but from Everyday Minerals, a slightly more affordable, independent company (run by a mom!)

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 10:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sara said...

Too funny about the other pregnant glows courtesy of shimmerbrick! (Should really read all the comments before posting, but I was enthusiastic!)

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Wonderful ideas. I love that marykay concealer!

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sweet80pea said...

I second the notion on the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. I absolutely love the stuff. I use the oil-free version. It's quick and easy to apply and you can't fudge it up.

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 11:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Rarely David usually Lisa said...

Love the hints. I needed all of those. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing.
Any anti-aging secrets?

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 1:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are such great tips! I'm definitely heading out for a shimmer brick!

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jane. Thanks for the makeup tips. I'm really interested in the Bare Escentuals multi-tasker but I'm confused. It looks like a powder and I'm wondering how that would cover up redness or blemishes?

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 9:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger brit.brat said...

k..try laura mercier..eye basics..comes in like 6 colors..maybe more affordable..lasts about a year..and it eats up all the moisture from your eyelid..so no messy crease!hooray! and it gives your shadow something to stick to...keeping your shadow looking amazing until the late pm! swear!{also been known to water-proof your eyeshadow..swimming included.} $22. i think

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 4:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger heather said...

These are great ideas, thanks. I too am headed out for a shimmer brick!

I'm also really in love with the Benefit line of cosmetics. I use their Foundation Faker because I typicall hate regular foundation. It feels really good on and really evens out your skin. Plus it's fast. I also love their Ooh La Lift under-eye cream. Finally, they have this GREAT eye cover up called Lemon-aid that evens out discoloration on your eyelids. Check them out: http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/product/B000FBNYTI/sr=1-1/qid=1216744046/ref=sr_1_1/102-1435020-2070522?ie=UTF8&n=164988011&bcBrand=core

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 12:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

first off, I've been so crazy in paris and I just saw all these wonderful comments! can't wait to try all your suggestions. and I think bobbi brown needs to pay me commission on all the shimmer bricks she's going to be selling this summer. :)

kellyt - you're right, the multi-tasker is a powder and I was curious at first when I heard it was used as a concealer. but it totally works. and I like how it looks much better - you really don't see it as much as a cream concealer. love it!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 11:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mary Michele said...

Love the Shimmer Brick! This is a fabulous creation, not too shimmery but with just enough sparkle.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 10:36:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home