Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Painted Wooden Dolls — by Guest Mom Lindsey Rose Johnson

Every once in a great while I start to get the itch to unearth my crafty side. While this may surprise a few of my friends, I actually do craft sometimes. (I even own a glue gun — and a lot of felt.)

A few summers ago, while browsing the craft booths at an all-day festival called
Swiss Days in Midway, Utah, I came across the most delightful, darling wooden dolls and blocks. They were painted in lovely bright colors with stripes and polka dots.



They were the kinds of toys I dreamed of buying for my sweet daughter. Yet, I only bought four little painted people--two of which have become residents of the black hole underneath the fridge. The last two (pictured above) now only have each other for companionship.

Any day now I'm going to get around to painting my own. Any day now. . .

I did get as far as looking online to see if I could find that awesome company--surely operated by some equally awesome moms. No luck.

However, I did come across some pretty great substitutes/examples of what I'd like to make over at everyone's favorite place (other than Design Mom), Etsy. Yay for Etsy!

These darling ladies from Relentlesstoil's Etsy Shop are my absolute favorites. How cute are they? I want one of each.



1. Blue with white flowers, 2. Orange with white flowers
3. Pink with purple flowers, 4. Dark pink with yellow flowers

I also found this darling Fairy Angel Doll from LoveBoxes.



And some painted wood families from Gemmilou's Etsy Shop.



1. Custom Order 2. Mama and Children-7,
3. Mama and Children-6, 4. The Wood Family-12

And painted people of all shapes and sizes from Love Monkey's shop.



But, I still really want to try my hand at painting my own. I don't know how they'll turn out, but I'll love them just the same.

You can buy your own unpainted dolls from Gemmilou's shop.



1. Four Little Boys, 2. Little Girlfriends, 3. The Wood Family, 4. Best Friends

Now I just need to buy some paint. . .

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

13 Comments:

Blogger kristi lou said...

We too have some sweet, sweet wooden people. And it never crossed my mind before, but it would be fun to make some! Any recommendations on paint?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 1:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah Starr Alleman Smith said...

Lindsey Rose, this is so great. The idea has been rolling around in my head too. I know it is something my little guy would love - especially if they had a car. I have some doll clothes pins I think will work. Very inspiring.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of those look an awful lot like Sarah Neuburger of The Small Object's work. Brings up the age-old question of what constitutes influence vs. stealing.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 2:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger amy korngiebel said...

these are so great. i had some like this as a kid. i love the idea of making your own.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 3:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've had my eye on these in Gemmilou's Etsy shop. I love that they're customizeable. Since we're adopting children from Africa, I can't wait to order a wooden family that looks just like ours!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 3:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger simply seleta said...

Just ordered Gimmelou's last set of Momma and children. So excited for my 3 yr old!

Thanks for such a great post. Imaginative play is the best kind for developing minds. I wish all toys were this simple and beautiful. It's so enriching for the children.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz said...

SO cute- what a great idea!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 10:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger vfg said...

Peg dolls have been around a lot longer than thesmallobject, though I adore (and have bought at $32) her little dolls. Her branding and marketing are spot-on.

I bought a lot of _fantastic_ wood blanks from www.caseyswood.com just before Christmas. Peg people, wood apples & acorns, tiny jars and buckets and barrels to fill a fairy store. Super-cheap.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 5:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

These remind me so much of the older little people (Fisher Price) my daughter would love these.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 8:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger i'm h.mac said...

please go to casey wood.com as mentioned above, he is so reasonable and i love his stuff! so simple, and soule mama turned me onto him......

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 11:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laina kay said...

Hey Lindsey!

So fun to see you here again! The clothespin dolls are precious!

Another one of my favorite bloggers, Alicia makes beautiful things like these and even sells a kit for you to make your own.

I think she's sold out right now but check her out here for inspiration or watch for her to restock!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 1:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mumsy said...

Thanks, Lainakay! I would love to get one of those kits. Great link!

Friday, April 11, 2008 at 10:13:00 AM EDT  
Blogger zime said...

Hi! Wonderful post!! I love miniature dolls!!! I actually make some of them. I invite you to my recently opened shop!
http://zime.etsy.com

Hope you like it!!
(^v^)

Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 10:19:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home