Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Felt Food Craze — by Guest Mom Lindsey Rose Johnson

Have you joined the felt food craze?

A few weeks ago while I was reading one of my favorite craft blogs,
Make and Takes, I was drawn to these adorable felt sugar cookies.



I went right out the next day and bought as much felt as I could so I could make my very own. Unfortunately, all of that felt is still sitting in my craft box. (I'll get to that eventually, too.)
Marie, the talented and crafty mom behind Make and Takes, did us all a favor — she also posted a splendid tutorial complete with pictures so we can make our very own!

One of Marie's readers was inspired by the same post and posted a picture of her own felt gingerbread cookies. They are just as darling.

As I was at Michaels buying felt, my daughter helped me compile a list of other felt food we could make. Then I headed on over to Etsy once again to see what other inspiration I could find.

I was stunned by the infinite pictures of felt food I found. And every time I go back, there are even more examples and more things to buy.

Here's a few of my favorites:


Pepperoni Pizza from Vivikas


Poptarts from Sweet Confections


Stone Soup Veggies from ForEvelyn


Complete Breakfast from PinaKoala


Cafe Deli Sandwich and Chips from DoodleBugFinery


Fruit Slices from Umecrafts (instructions and patterns available, too!)


Pasta with Shrimp from GoBuggy

Feel inspired yet? I surely do. But if you need more inspiration here are some links worth checking out:

Ask Design Mom: Felt Crafts answered by Cindy from Skip To My Lou
Lilly Bean Market
The Handmade Felt Food Pool on Flikr
Retroragswi's Felt Food
Play Food from Mahar Drygoods
Have You Felt Food? from The Land of Nod

And, this book will be available in June 2008:


My Favorite Felt Sweets by Joie Staff

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

25 Comments:

Blogger Shy Little Violets said...

Owner of Makes and Takes is a friend of mine, I love her fun easy craft ideas. These felt ideas are so fun and great for the kids to play with as there is no worry of lead.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 12:17:00 PM EDT  
Blogger simply kris said...

My daughter is looking with me right now. She wants everything you've shared. Thanks for inspiring us to make something new together!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 12:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kristi lou said...

felt food really is adorable!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amanda Conley said...

I have a special place in my heart for pretend food. The shrimp and pasta are my favorite!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 3:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for linking to my blog. My two little ones love pretending to munch on their gingerbread men. Now I think I need to make some shrimp - they are too cute!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger marian said...

My wonderful mother-in-law made felt and fabric food for my son for his birthday last year. We went off a menu of foods he loves, and included pancakes with syrup, assemble-your-own pizza, tortilla chips and salsa, spaghetti, cookies, and more. I love it and I love that it was made with love!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 5:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Lindsey! Thanks for the link love. I am loving all the other creations out there. That Shrimp Pasta is to die for! All that food is making me hungry for the real stuff... off the the real kitchen.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 6:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lizzy @ The Tip Spot said...

i have felt food dream plans too!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 7:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stephanie said...

They are all so cute, my favorite is the breakfast.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tania said...

That breakfast with the little smiley faces is perfect!

This is great timing, as I want to get Jane some more play food for her 2nd birthday. I'll need to check them out more, since I kind of only like to buy 100% wool felt products.

I guess I could make my own - but then they'd have to be for her 3rd birthday ....

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mrs.French said...

We have the toast and the egg from pinakoala...my son loves them.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 6:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Molly said...

Thanks for the post and all of the links. I have been dying to make some felt food for a while now, I just can't decide where to get started.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 10:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger C said...

So, funny story... I was looking around at felt food, looking for some new inspiration, and stumbled across... *my own veggies!*

This made my day! Thanks so much for featuring my food! I'm working on a tutorial!!

Forevelyn.etsy.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 6:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Her Glitter Life said...

WOW, This is so nice. You are very creative.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 10:19:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your felt food! Maybe some of you could let me know about what you think of my felt food website! Thanks! My Felt Food .com

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 5:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The felt food sandwich is great! By the way - I looked at the My Felt Food website in the above comment - it has some cool patterns too! :) Cheers!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 5:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh my gosh those little shrimp made me laugh out loud. So clever!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:21:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Francine said...

I love felt food but I am not really the crafty type, I bought a kit by the popcorn tree, at a local farmers market in AZ. The muffin kit was awesome everything was included and I didn't even have to cut out patterns, you should check them out.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Francine said...

oh yeah thier website is www.thepopcorntree.com

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:51:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Christeeny said...

Francine, FYI American Felt and craft, www.feltandcraft.com sells Popcorn Tree kits, and some nice felt too!

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 6:50:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Ginny said...

I'm in love with felt food as is my 3 and 5 year olds! Thanks for the info on felt food kits! Just purchased the lunch kit by the popcorn tree it looks adorable!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:28:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Mecca said...

I am a felt food addict too! lol, I turned my obsession into crafting easy patterns. My favorite is my felt vegetables and felt fruit because it was so challenging making them look somewhat realistic!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 11:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I fell in love with this the minute I saw it. Thank you to all the wonderful creative people who shared this

Saturday, September 5, 2009 at 11:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger dolphinsquare said...

I'd like to thank you for posting all the information you have on Felt Food. I just read an article in our local paper (Minnepolis Star Tribune) about making felt food and I am going to start now to make quite a stash for my niece who will be 2 years old next Christmas and I know this is going to be a hit!!

Saturday, January 9, 2010 at 1:53:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Sathon said...

You can find free felt food pattern at http://julyhobby.blogspot.com/

Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 4:22:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home