Monday, March 31, 2008

Seeing the Everyday



There's a newly launched magazine that has completely hit a soft spot for me. Seeing the Everyday.

First of all, it's gorgeous. (And you know I have kind of an obnoxious why-bother? attitude about anything poorly designed.) The photography is excellent. The layouts are well thought out. The paper has a lovely feel. It's a pleasure to hold and read.


Second, the concept is unlike anything I've seen out there on the magazine racks. And it is needed. And at the end of the day, really important. Seeing the Everyday aims to cover the "in-between" moments of parenthood. The non-events that actually make up the bulk of the act of parenting. To shed light on how important these small moments are.

I found the stories and articles authentic and compelling — and loved them for being affirming and positive without being patronizing. I was wiping the tears right and left as I read cover to cover (I'm not kidding when I say it hit a soft spot with me). If it celebrates parenthood and families I can typically be counted as a fan. I'm fully aware that parenting is the most important and meaningful thing most of us will do in our lifetime. It is always good for me to be reminded that the birthday parties and big events aren't any more important than the down days — and probably much less important.

Lastly, Seeing the Everyday is ad free. As in sans ads. As in there aren't any advertisements. No really. (And of course, this is partly why it's so gorgeous.) Consider how lovely that is. Every page is content. Every page is beautiful. How to get one? Via internet of course. Sign up for your subscription here. If you check it out, I'd love to hear what you think.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

24 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

I just signed up for a subscription — the magazine looks wonderful! I read some of the sample stories and they are so inspirational!

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh what a beautiful magazine. I can't wait to sign up!

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 3:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Melissa said...

A magazine that might become my new best friend. Very eager for my first copy to arrive. Thanks Gabby.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 4:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

My boss is the photographer for this magazine. He and his friend (who designs it) put it out. He was very excited to see your blog today.

It is a really fantastic magazine. I have a subscription coming to me, too.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 4:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Fairlightday said...

This looks beautiful. I think maybe a subsrcibtion (or two) would be a lovely giveaway. (hint hint) :)
Thank you for sharing this little gem with us.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 4:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to take a peek.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 5:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in their philosophy SO MUCH. Life is not a posed picture.

A great gift idea. I want a subscription on their no-ads approach alone. Keep these people in business!

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This is beautiful! I wonder if large bookstores like B&N or Borders will pick it up too. I'll check it out online.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 6:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger pve design said...

Seeing the everyday is beautiful.
Looks like something I really would love and the stories are quite lovely.
Yes, this would be a lovely give-away :)

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 6:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tricia said...

I know the designer on this magazine and he is so kind. It is great to see support out there for his (and his partners') vision.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 6:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jules said...

This is funny--I started a Flickr group a while back called "Things I Hope to Never Forget" for this exact reason: to catalog little moments in the day that might otherwise be lost under the weight of "bigger" memories. I also do a feature on my blog called "Favorite Moment" where I reflect on my favorite moment of the week. Not suprisingly, all my favorite moments have been very simple.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 7:18:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The magazine is beautiful and inspirational. I am so grateful for a place that celebrates the mundane and honors the small and large sacrifices that good people make everyday that make the world a better place.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 9:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger katieo said...

I'm a huge fan of the magazine (and everyone working on it).

It's just beautiful.

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 10:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz Allman said...

Do you read Wondertime? Similar on a much more how-to scale.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 12:09:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bobby Leigh said...

I'm not even a parent and I'm interested...I'll have to pass this on! Beautiful, well designed and full of great content, yay!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 1:16:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Deb said...

How refreshing & inspiring... as a good magazine should be. Thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 7:05:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much gabby- i just signed up to get mine- and can't wait for it to arrive...
(photographer & mommy-to-be)

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 11:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mumsy said...

I'm going to subscribe right away! What a pretty magazine!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 12:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Already signed up - looks awesome. Thanks Gabby.
Viki

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 12:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mrs.French said...

so, so pretty! it sounds wonderful. I just got a subscription...I am so excited to get it!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lenniekat said...

I'm looking forward to my first issue, too - thanks so much for introducing us to this new magazine. Just what I'm needing these days...

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 2:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy Staiger said...

Thank you for your comments. My friend is one of the graphic designers for the magazine - and how you described the magazine is exactly the feeling they wanted to portray - thank you for your site as well - it is inspiring and is helping me see joy in the simple things -

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 3:36:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flocculus said...

"Seeing the everyday" seems to try to hide its Mormon roots. I wonder why that is...

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 5:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Hello Flocculus. Interesting comment. I'd love some clarification.

Seeing the Everyday has Mormon roots? Says who?

I'm a Mormon and I know this isn't a project started by or promoted by my church. But suppose it does have Mormon roots -- say the founders are Mormons -- I still don't understand what you mean.

What would satisfy you?

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 9:56:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home