Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day 2008




Last evening we made Valentines for the school parties today.
Maude figured out how to make origami heart pockets and folded one for each of her classmates (those are her busy-marker-covered-fingers). She included two wint-o-green life savers in the heart (oh my goodness I love wint-o-green life savers) and stapled the heart closed.

It took us awhile to come up with something cool enough for a 4th grade boy to take to school on Valentine's Day, but we were very satisfied with our solution:



We picked up a pad of Mad Libs. I exacto-knifed them out of their stack and Ralph folded and slipped one sheet into each envelope. Then we printed out sheets of red that said: "I'm MAD about you Valentine!" "LIB it up this Valentine's Day!" and "Have a RAD MAD Valentine's Day".



Ralph cut out the text with fancy scissors and we used double sided tape to attach them to the envelopes. He was very excited to hand these out — he thought his teacher would appreciate the nouns and verbs and adjectives aspect.

Olive just wanted to hand out a box of My Little Pony Valentines. And that's just what she did.

Happy Valentine's Day to You! I hope you get the chance to do something nice today for someone you're fond of.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former English teacher, I am a big lover of the Mad Libs! If his teacher does not love it, she is crazy!

(Caveat: there are lots if inappropriate nouns and verbs that kids can use, as I learned teaching middle school.)

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 12:57:00 PM EST  
Blogger meg said...

wow you are on fire today with the valentine's ideas. thanks! mind if i link to you from my site www.fairfieldcountychild.com?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 1:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger R-Eight said...

Super great ideas!!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Fairlightday said...

Love Ralph's valentines! You sure had a busy evening last night.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2:27:00 PM EST  
Blogger Average Jane Crafter said...

Love love love the Mad Libs - that is a fantastic idea. I've always been a huge fan of ML, and I love the idea of putting them in the Valentines!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 3:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lei said...

I am going to have to use the mad libs idea for sure... book marking! Thanks!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 3:08:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amanda Neilson said...

What great ideas! Mad libs and origami are two of my boys favorite things!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 5:16:00 PM EST  
Blogger Bek said...

of course all your ideas are wonderful. I also love how Olive wanted to just the My Little Pony ones... everyone wins!!

We always got (and now give) ML's in our Christmas stocking. We even made "church" ones for sacrament meeting (the family meeting in our congregation). Good stuff.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 5:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

such a great idea, those mad libs! love it.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 6:53:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how wonderful!!! This post makes me crave the day that my little girl, now 7 months old, will be big enough to share such an actvity with! Thanks for the daydream!!!

Kelly
http://kellyschwark.com

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 8:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Mamalang said...

Those are awesome ideas. I may have to steal the MadLibs for the older kids next year.
We made bags with a pencil, little note pad and eraser. Longer lasting than candy, useful for school and home, and they worked for the 5, 9 and 14 year old.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM EST  
Blogger pve design said...

wish you were my design mom!
your valentines were creative and fun!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 6:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger Nicole said...

Love the Mad Libs valentines! I will have to keep that in mind for next year. The hearts were adorable too... I guess I need to start a file :-)

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 9:29:00 AM EST  
Blogger rachel @ blackeiffel said...

Fabulous, o creative one.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:35:00 PM EST  
Blogger Dansie Family said...

great ideas. my five-year-old was so excited to be able to cut out hearts for his valentines. so we made them into cute little people with accordion arms and legs. he got to do his hearts, and they weren't too girly. too bad we couldn't send homemade treats with them. i am still sad about that.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 2:18:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitely be making these this year. I would love to share your link and idea on my site, would you mind. Thanks www.happynester.blogspot.com

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 9:13:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica, I don't mind a bit if you share the link and idea on your site. In fact, I would appreciate it.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 11:24:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home