Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ode to a Loaf of Bread — by Guest Mom Michelle/Scribbit



Whoever said man doesn't live by bread alone must not feel the way I do about those lovely little carbs. When I go to a restaurant and they have a bread basket at the table I'm usually filling up on crusty, soft slices of heaven before my meal ever arrives.

I'm sharing my basic, tried-and-true, absolutely fabulous bread recipe that I use in my bread machine. If you're one who swears on the old-fashioned knead-by-hand method I'm sure you can adapt this to fit your needs (kneads?) but if you love fresh bread and the ease of technology get yourself a bread machine and try this recipe — I promise you happiness. A few notes: While I also adapt it for whole wheat, I never make 100% whole wheat because I dislike the heavy, dense texture. Instead of 4 1/2 cups of white flour you can use 2 cups of whole wheat and 2 of all-purpose with excellent results and better health. Either way is good for dinner rolls and loaves. On the loaf you see pictured above after letting it rise for 30 minutes I sprayed the loaf with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkled sea salt and rosemary on top, then made light, cross cuts on the top with a serrated edge before baking — pretty, no?

Here's the recipe:


1 1/2 cup warm water

4 1/2 cups white all-purpose flour

2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons powdered milk
2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon fast acting yeast (though this may need to be reduced if your machine has a very long rising time.)


Add all of the ingredients into the bucket of the bread machine and set on the dough cycle. When finished, shape as you wish on a greased cookie sheet and allow the bread to rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 28 minutes or until golden brown on top. All machines are not alike so you may have to tweak it to make it fit your particular machine. Just remember that less is more when it comes to the amount of flour. You want to add as little flour as you can otherwise the texture becomes too dense.



I've had four bread machines and I've worn each of them into the ground so I have to show off my latest model. A friend of mine had a brand new Cuisinart bread machine she didn't want so she gave it to me just as my fourth machine was on its deathbed. If you're in the market for a bread machine you should consider a couple criteria:

1. How large a loaf can it handle? (A two pound loaf is a must for me)
2. How deep is the bucket? (A deeper bucket will mean less sloppiness and a cleaner machine)
3. How long does it take to complete a cycle? Four hours? Two? Something in the middle is best.
4. Does it have enough settings? Can it handle whole wheat? French? Dough?
5. Does it have a window? Because you'll want to see your art baking.
6. Remember that more expensive doesn't mean better, I've tried high end and low end and the low end models work as well--or better--than the more expensive machines every time. I had excellent results with The Corner Bakery brand.

Happiness is a warm loaf of bread so if you want some of my other favorite bread recipes here click on these:

Cranberry Bread
Perfect Cinnamon Rolls
Smoked Gouda Rolls
Sticky Rolls
Baked Apple Donuts
Pesto Cheese Pizza

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm real good at baking loafs of nasty tasting bricks.

this post is invaluable, to a carb cravin' sister. thank you.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 12:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scribbit said...

You're welcome--I could never last on a low-carb diet I'm afraid. I love pasta and bread too much!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 1:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a bread machine but didn't know what exactly to look for.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 2:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Laura said...

"Happiness is a warm loaf of bread" ...I love you already.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 3:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 3:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a relatively new fan of Design Mom, so it's fun to see one of my longtime favorites Michelle here.

I use my bread machine for all kneading, too. And for anyone who's in the market for one, I never go into a thrift store without seeing two or three--or ten.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 3:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you so much for the great post. I am a big fan of my bread machine and started buying my ingredients in bulk.

We used to buy our bread at the bread outlet, but they raised their prices. I am trying to bake more bread at home to combat the rising grocery prices.

Thank you again!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 3:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I have my old machine, it's on its deathbed but it still works, and if anyone is in Anchorage and wants it they're welcome to it. Just to give it a try and see if they like bread machines.

They've really come down in price, when I got my first one 13 years ago they were around $100, now you can get a great one for $40 or $50, and with Amazon's reviews and free shipping it's not a bad place to shop for one.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 4:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger Erin said...

I don't use a bread machine, but love making bread. I'm excited to try your recipe, thanks for the whole wheat tip.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 8:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm so going to have to try this recipe!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 9:31:00 AM EST  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's so difficult to find a good bread machine recipe. Thank you for sharing. Check out "Virginia Light Rolls" too sometime. My old standby for homemade dinner rolls a la bread machine.

Friday, February 1, 2008 at 1:18:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home