Monday, January 28, 2008

Say Hello to Michelle Mitchell of Scribbit!



Note from Design Mom:
I can't wait for you to meet our newest Guest Mom. You are going to love her. She's a great writer. She's funny. She's endlessly interesting and completely down to earth. Plus, her life is a full-fledged adventure — if for no other reason than she lives in the great state of Alaska. You may already know her blog Scribbit. It is one of the hands down best blogs that you could fit under the "parenting" topic umbrella — or pretty much any other topic umbrella. I asked her to write up an introduction so we could get to know her better, but before I get to it, I just want to say: Welcome Michelle! I'm happy to have you here!!

An Introduction to Scribbit


I'm so happy to be here at Design Mom, it's like a little vacation for me to come and post this week--only considerably cheaper and without so much sunblock. I'm Michelle Mitchell and my blog, Scribbit, is my online magazine where I post about everything related to motherhood in Alaska and I'm looking forward to sharing a little glimpse of my life in the land where global warming is a welcome thing. Back at Scribbit I publish my favorite recipes, household tips, crafts, contests and giveaways mixed with stories of being a mom in the Last Frontier.



I was born and raised in Anchorage but met my husband, Andrew, while we were at college out of state. He fell in love with Alaska from his very first fishing trip and we've been happily frozen here ever since. I come from a large family (I'm the oldest of six) and fifteen years of marriage have produce four children of our own: Grace, age 14, who's recently discovered dances, pierced ears and driving. Spencer, who's greatest ambition in life is to be an 11 year-old Macguyer-meets-Grizzly Adams. David, age 8, our future marine biologist who doesn't care what he's doing so long as he's with his big brother and Lillian, age 5, our resident kindergarten-sized Broadway star. We love living on the edge of the United States and plan to stay here until we die--or until we retire to life on Maui where I can fulfill my dream to have my own private beach complete with wi-fi where I can blog till the whales come home.

If you'd like a more academic biography, I received a B.A. in English with a minor in journalism just before my marriage and I followed my husband to North Dakota while he worked his way through law school. Though I've had some interesting jobs working as a researcher at the National Archives in Washington, D.C, working for Covey Leadership Center (of Stephen R. Covey and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People fame) and doing freelance editing and tech writing here and there motherhood had a way of restricting my creative time. Until blogging. I started Scribbit in 2005 but wasn't serious about it until a year later when I finally began venturing out of my hole to meet other bloggers and participate in the blogging community. I began posting every day and things took off until here I am, 750 posts later, enjoying a writing stint at Design Mom and loving it.



If you'd like a deeper (and less glamorous) introduction to our family I'd recommend the following posts:

Wherein Our Heroine Unknowlingly Aids and Abets
Oh Yea? So What is YOUR Child Wearing?

Labels:

add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Fun to see a familiar face. I'm a Scribbit fan.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 9:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger Melissa Stover said...

hi michelle. love your blog. glad to see you here.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 10:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lei said...

LURVE Scribbit. Lurve her!!! Hope you are feeling better soon Design Mom!

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 11:05:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Well gosh thanks, what nice things to say!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 1:54:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home