Thursday, September 27, 2007

Book of the Week: Freight Train



My friend Rebecca is really, really good at acknowled
ging birthdays. Knowing I collect Caldecott books, this year she sent me Freight Train, by Donald Crews. It arrived in an Amazon box and when I opened it, I could tell just from the cover it was my new favorite book. Why? Because the freight train's cars are red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple. That's why.

I also love that's it's simultaneously in Spanish and English. I also love that the pictures are simple and clean and styled. There is one picture in the middle of the book of the train in motion that should be framed and hung in every busy child's home.

Freight Train
has proved a hit with my 2 year old and the pictures are interesting enough that my older kids have been curious to read it as well. A beautiful book both to read and to display.

Available here.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was one of the first books that my 2 1/2 year had memorized. He loves to read it to me and his sister. It is a great book. All Donald Crews books have fun illustrations and straight forward text.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 4:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jen said...

Me too - love, love, love this book!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 5:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Arline LoGioco said...

We LOVE this book too!! Our other favorite in the train category is "I Love Trains!" by Philemon Sturges.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 5:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger cecily said...

Ben Loves this book too... although our copy is ONLY in english??

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 7:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cape Cod Washashore said...

We have this book too! When we read it, we try to mimic the sound we think the train would be making in each picture.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 9:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lace said...

I love this book. It is one of my nieces favorites.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 10:31:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've probably read it every night this week--its one of the only books my 3yo and 1yo both enjoy together. Simple and perfect.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 10:53:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little ones loved this book. We checked it out from our library this summer.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 11:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tania said...

This has been a fav of ours forever, even before Jake's train obsession. We also have a puzzle of it, and recently bought "Inside Freight Train" by Donald Crews. It's a really cool board book, where the pages slide out to let you see inside the train. Hard to describe - go check it out at the bookstore.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 11:57:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home