Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Playing with Magnets — by Guest Mom Adriana Velez



We spent Christmas with a friend who lives in France just outside of Geneva. One of the highlights of this visit was cooking in her newly remodeled kitchen. In fact, I feel the need to coin a new term in response to this dream kitchen: she Mieled it, from the dishwasher to the ovens.


Miele is a German manufacturer of high-end appliances, and my favorite of their appliances is their induction cooktop. Induction works by creating a magnetic force that causes the pan to heat without the hob itself becoming hot. In other words, the pan becomes its own heat source. Induction cooktops are safer than electric or gas cooktops, more energy efficient (up to 70% more), and are easy to clean. Even better, they’re just as fast and versatile as gas stoves.

I’ll take one! But wait, Miele induction hobs are not currently available in the US. Also they’re just a wee bit out of our price range. I am undaunted, however. The cooktops should be available this spring and we will be able to afford one. . . someday.

For those of you who are ready now, Viking makes induction hobs as well.
add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I've never heard of such a thing before. That excites the scientist in me.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 8:42:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw man. you hit me right in my weak spot. we just moved into a new house with an old (but not old enough to be wonderful) gas stove with too-small burners. my dream would be to own an induction cooktop.

how did you like cooking on your friend's?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 9:13:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks really cool, Hmm, I live in France just outside of Geneva! You think your friend wants to cook something for me? ;)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:17:00 AM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

I'm so fascinated by this technology. I'm going to have to find a store that demos an induction stove.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm living in Spain right now and I have an induction cooking stove. I love it! Here's the good and the bad. The good #1 Its so easy to clean off. #2 the heat distributes evenly. #3 if it feels human touch it automatically shuts off and cools fast. which is very kid friendly. The bad #1 if you place any other metal on the stove it beeps and shuts off. #2 nothing is as good as gas! Another brand that makes it (the one I have)is Siemens.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 3:50:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie, I liked that I had the same amount of control as I have on my gas stove at home. And I liked the safety aspect -- no danger of setting myself or a potholder on fire, which is always an issue for a clumsy, distracted cook like me.

I've since heard that you need an electrical cord the size of a firehose, though, so it probably wouldn't work with my 1930's wiring! And Eryka's right, you have to use the right kind of metal. My All-Clads would have to go but the enamelware and cast iron would be OK.

Sara, I'll tell my friend to look you up! She loves hosting.

Eryka, really, still doesn't beat gas? Hmm! I looooove Spain, by the way.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heavy duty built-in induction cooktop engineered for use in commercial kitchens and restaurants. It is a perfect choice for professional chefs. Drop-in design, single cooking zone (burner); Heavy duty electronic components; Extra fans on control box for heat exhausting.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home