Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Scheduling Holidays



If I could pick, all major holidays that my family celebrates would fall on the last weekend of the holiday's regularly scheduled month. I have issues with Holidays that don't fall near the end of the month. I need several weeks to think about and prepare for any upcoming holiday in a way that satisfies me — and those weeks have to exist in the same month as the holiday.

For example, I find it's really hard for me to think about Valentine's Day until February. But because I wait until then, I end up celebrating in a really low-key way. Two weeks is not enough time to make putting up decorations worthwhile.

And July 4th? I mean come on. That leaves me 3 days to realize it's July, make BBQ plans, deck the halls in red, white and blue, figure out where to watch the fireworks, and get my hands on some sparklers for the kids. Not gonna happen. And it's a shame. Because I really like Independence Day.

Easter, of course is the worst, because it can't even manage to commit to a specific month.

Just some thoughts I'm throwing out there to the Calendar Making Gods. I received a Valentine's Day related question last week and it threw me off. (Valentine's Day? It's only January. . .) But I'm getting in gear. This blog is really good for me. I've even got a Valentine's related post coming later today — and it's only January 24th!

pic from Sur la Table
add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha!

you're totally screwing with my image of you as ALWAYS completely together and on top of things!

i think you're just making this up to make the rest of us mortals feel more secure.

love the 4th of july conundrum. although i bet you can put together a pretty terrific bbq in three days!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 9:17:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do my valentine's cookies never look as cute as those pictured??

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 9:47:00 AM EST  
Blogger Stepi said...

I was just looking at my V-day decorations yesterday, thinking it's not Feb. yet. What was I thinking?? It's time NOW!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 7:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Girl con Queso said...

I so hear you. I've never really thought about it completely, but that makes brilliant sense. That must be why I can NEVER get it together for April Fools Day.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:17:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home