Friday, December 15, 2006

Ask Design Mom: Mother-in-law Gifts



Ask Design Mom Question:
Dear Design Mamacita —
I adore my Mother-in-law. But unless I've just recently been with her, I never know what to give her for Christmas or Birthday. I've done sweaters, jewelry, lotions, gardening and kitchen stuff, and with each subsequent gifty time I feel like I'm just struggling to remember which category I chose last time so as not to repeat myself too close to the last time. Please help!! I know you can! Thanks so much, in advance, Laurie

Design Mom Answer:
Well, Dear Laurie, I need to ship my MIL's gift today. And a gift for her birthday which also falls in December. So your question is too timely. And I love the categories you list above because they are just the kind of thing you give to someone you know personally but not that well. So I'm thinking, let's just expand the list.

Remember my friend's boutique that I posted about here? I'm mentally walking through her inventory, because it was Mother-in-Law gift heaven. Here are some ideas:

1) A super-cozy bathrobe.
Maybe in deep red because it's Christmas. Or, if she's more of an artsy gal, go with a printed kimono type robe. At the boutique there were some gorgeous bathrobe choices, but they all came in L/XL and we realized that no one wants to give or receive a robe that's L/XL, so we carefully removed the part of the neck label that indicates size, making the robes seem like one size fits all.

2) Custom Stationery.

Something traditional unless you're confident she would like something a little more funky. Everyone has to write thank you notes at some point, so you can be sure she'll use it.

3) Go Handmade.
I saw these coasters made with wrapping paper on a recording of Martha yesterday when I was folding laundry. Totally love this project. Super easy. And you could pick wrapping paper that would go with her decorating style. Or paper with a Holiday print. Maybe a set of 8, each with a different paper. See coasters in the pic at the top.

4) Hat, Gloves & Scarf
When I think Mother-in-Law accessories, I think Chicos. They seem to cater to our parent's generation. She may already own a set, but it's nice to have a few options. If she's not a hat, gloves and scarf gal, maybe a pashmina type shawl.

5) A book or a subscription.
These are my total default gifts and I know I've mentioned them before. Hard to go wrong here. You could choose something pretty generally liked by Mothers-in-law, like Oprah Magazine or you can even add a year to a subscription she already has and loves. For books, think coffee table. Maybe something about the part of the country she lives in.


6) An Umbrella.
I love everything Pare makes. A very cool and unexpected gift for anyone.

7) A donation in her name.
Help end world hunger by purchasing some poultry or a goat in her name for a village in a 3rd world country. Try Heifer International.

There's a start, Laurie. But keep checking comments — I'm sure lots of Design Mom readers will add excellent ideas.

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving my step-mother-in-law a monogrammed linen tote from Ballard Designs. They have two sizes, I got her the smaller one in a limey green color with her initials in brown. Only $19 and very useful!

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 9:17:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am giving my mother-in-law a darling tote from Red Envelope that has spots for 3 photos. This is perfect for her because that is exactly how many grandchildren she has. She'll love to show off her little grandbabies to all her friends.

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 11:06:00 AM EST  
Blogger This is Carrie said...

My mother-in-law is getting your #7 but from Mercy Corps. They have great "kits" that can be catered to the interests of the recipient. And, they are a very highly rated charity on Charity Navigator.

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 1:01:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of giving a museum membership...to her favorite art museum, history museum, science museum...whatever her interest. She can take her friends to exhibit openings and her grandchildren to children activity days and get discounts at the museums shops, classes, or whatever they may offer to their members. A gift she can enjoy all year long.

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great suggestions one and all. thank you thank you thank you. i think i'm going to make coasters!!

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 5:02:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing my husband have done in years past for our parents is to get them tickets to the symphony or opera. They have loved it.

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 6:01:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about Heifer International. I joined Heifer as new media director last year and really appreciate it when someone blogs about us.

We have a new BlogRaising program that lets bloggers like you help us get the word out about Heifer and raise the money we need to do our work. To learn more, just go to www.heifer.org/onlinecommunityfundraising

I hope you are able to take part.

Again thanks for the good words.

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 9:32:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i made homemade kahlua (recipes can be found online, very simple) and attached a decorative red or green bottle (from hobby lobby) with cardstock that listed recipes for white russian cocktails as well as kahlua cake. the whole gift was around $15.00 and everyone was so intrigued that i could make my own kahlua, which is also great over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. i will do this again for others this christmas

Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 3:14:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the f*ck is a 'tote'?

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 8:48:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a bag.

Monday, December 14, 2009 at 1:18:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home