Thursday, December 14, 2006

Book of the Week — 3 Christmas Stories


This past Tuesday night, at the Bookclub I attend, we shared favorite books for young Children and I was introduced to some really great Christmas choices. My favorite was Peter Spier's Christmas. No words. Just amazingly detailed illustrations that tell the story. It was suggested that this kind of book was perfect for pre-readers because of the no text thing. And I know my older kids would love sitting by the tree and studying the pictures as well.

This year, I think this will be our new Christmas book. From what I understand, it looks like it's out of publication, but you can find it through Amazon here.


I also loved seeing Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl Buck
This story, about a son giving his father a gift of service, would be equivalent to Gift of the Magi in it's power to bring me to tears and give me that Christmas-Spirit-of-Giving feeling. The illustrations by Mark Buehner are tremendous.


Who is coming to Our House was also introduced in board book format. It features the animals in the stable as they prepare for Mary and Joseph and Baby Jesus to arrive. It looked like it would be perfect for our toddler who is in that animal sounds stage.

Hooray for Bookclub! And hooray for Happy Holiday Reading!
add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger dalene said...

Thanks for the link and the heads up on the "Christmas Morning" book. It's one of my husband's favorite stories--we often watch a video of it before Christmas--but I had no idea about its origins. I'll have to see if I can get it in time to surprise him on Christmas morning!

Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 8:16:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for th ideas. My kids love books, and those look great. I think my son would love the book with no text!

Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 8:40:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently introduced to a book I think I'll have to get called Emma's Christmas (you can find it at any online bookstore). It's the "story" of the 12 days of Christmas, but it's quite hillarious. I'll have to check out the books you suggested (I'm always on the lookout for awesome children's books)

Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 3:10:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home