Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Chocolate Dessert Toppers — by Guest Mom Emily C. Spencer




This idea has become a standby for me for when I am serving dessert to guests. Even if the dessert isn't that fancy, these little chocolate embellishments will definitely make an impression. I pipe out all sorts of designs with melted chocolate depending on the occasion or the holiday and then I keep them in a Tupperware in the freezer. They last for months and I can always pull some out at the last minute to spice up any dessert I am serving.

I made chocolate cowboy hats for my kid's birthday party and placed one on top of each cupcake. In the past I have made hearts for valentines, stars, letters of the alphabet and also just random cool designs like spirals, squiggly or straight lines. Depending on the consistency of the frosting, I like to stand them up to give a more three-dimensional look. The possibilities are endless with different shapes and different chocolates and it really doesn't require too much of an artist's hand. The toppers are fragile, though, so designs can be limited that way.

This is how I do it (warning - this is very amateur and I am sure there is a more professional way). I think there is a specific type of chocolate for melting (that will remain hard at room temp) but I just use what I have in the kitchen — semi-sweet baking chocolate:

-Melt 1 oz of baking chocolate in a Pyrex container in the microwave — stopping to stir every 15 seconds.
-Remove the chocolate from the oven when it has almost melted, then stir and let any tiny undissolved lumps melt.
-Be careful not to overcook as chocolate will be grainy and lumpy.
-Pour melted chocolate into zip loc bag, seal, and cut small hole in corner (size of hole depends on how thick you want your designs).
-Pipe designs onto cookie sheets lined with wax paper.
-Place cookie sheets in refrigerator until chocolate hardens.
-Carefully peel designs from wax paper and put in Tupperware.
-Freeze until time to use.
-Place chocolate topper on only at the last minute as chocolate will start to soften at room temperature and may not hold it's shape as well.
add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Kendra said...

Thanks for this idea. I'm going to try it out today! Wouldn't a chocolate ghost be cute?

P.S. I like the "amateur" directions. Then I can actually do it!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 11:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

Emily,

I have only done flowers b/c I have no imagination!!

For those who aren't as talented as Design Mom and Emily (who can draw and swirl freehand) I have found that if I print off a design on paper and then "draw" if on waxed paper over the template I can fake it.......

Great idea...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 12:50:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute, cute idea. I've seen genuine small leaves "painted" with melted chocolate, and then when it sets you peel off the leaf.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 3:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

What a great project. So many shapes I want to try. . .

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 10:40:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home