Monday, November 16, 2009

Ask Design Mom — Embroidery on Stockings



Ask Design Mom Question:

I've made felt stockings for Christmas and want to embroider our names on the top. Any suggestions for how to do this without an embroidery machine?? I want a chic style (I think I have the ability to do a satin stitch on my machine though...)
Thank you so much. — Carissa R



Design Mom Answer:
Sounds like fun! I haven't personally done much embroidery since my tween years in the 4-H, but I've noticed a couple of inspiring embroidery images on my sister Jordan's blog. I'm not sure that they are the styles you have in mind, but both the ribbon embroidery and the negative space embroidery seem super chic to me.

What do you suggest, Dear Readers? Any embroidery experts out there that can offer advice, ideas or source links?

Fruit & veggie image here. Hello image here.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz Stanley said...

There's a great ribbon embroidery book Jordan found, might be something fun to buy: http://www.amazon.com/Ribbon-Embroidery-Basic-Decorative-Stitches/dp/4529035514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253811765&sr=1-1

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 12:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Lynn Kellan said...

Wow, I love the negative image look. I must confess that I have a husqvarna embroidery machine, and it does a far better job than I could hope to do by hand. :)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 6:16:00 AM EST  
Blogger craftyashley said...

I really love the negative image, too! But I fear I would really mess it up! :)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 11:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger mana said...

I love the negative too! It's modern and different than what we usually see.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 3:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger julia said...

don't be afraid of the flaw, i say . . . i handletter embroidered my husband's initials on his stocking as a gift (newlywed-ish) and while it's a little funky--it looks like it is made with love! i bought a hand knit stocking from etsy and then i used embroidery thread to make some chunky initials--long stroke stitches. it looks cool--i wish i could show you some pictures!? (is there a way to upload here?)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 6:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Leah said...

I do hand embroidery, and I find www.sublimestitching.com to be great for modern stuff. My favorite basic book is Embroidered Monograms & More by Leisure Arts. I have used those designs for LOTS of presents.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 11:24:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://primrosedesign.blogspot.com/

Has great embroidery tutorials with good photos. Embroidery is easy! One tip from me is the thicker the thread, the better it looks--it's more forgiving of crooked lines and such. Beware of the French knot. Deceptively easy but when it doesn't work, it's a mess!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 1:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger happykatie said...

I'm a huge fan of a couple of crewel books that might offer inspiration: Doodle Stitching (by Aimee Ray) + The New Crewel (by Stephanie Shaughnessy).

For embroidery with a little edge, Sublime Stitching patterns and books are... well, sublime :)

Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 9:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home