Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ask Design Mom: Easter Baskets



Ask Design Mom Question:

Dear Designmom, I've been looking for easter baskets for my three kids and have had a hard time finding something that will last through the years and that looks great. You are always posting such great finds and ideas for all the holidays and I am hoping that you might be able to help me find a few resources for fantastic easter baskets. Thanks! Becky


Design Mom Answer:

Great question Becky! And I hear you on the long-lasting aspect. The first Easter baskets I purchased for my kids were sweet, but they broke the second year and were a beast to store.

If you're super traditional, then you may not like my answer, but I'm a big fan of "alternative" Easter baskets. In fact, I look for baskets that are multi-purpose and highly functional — that I can use throughout the year for all sorts of things. I also prefer a small container, because it prevents us from getting out of control with the candy.




Our current Easter baskets are small galvanized metal buckets. The kids decoupaged them a few years ago with crepe paper, wrapping tissue and watered down glue. (Although, I think they're lovely unadorned as well.) After they've done their duty collecting eggs, they go back to the shelves in my girls' room, where they corral Polly Pocket pieces and Barbie shoes and dress-up jewelry. You can see them on my daughters' shelves here.

But if buckets aren't your thing. I recommend looking through home organization departments to scope out other alternative, long-lasting "baskets". Wire fruit baskets would be charming and would show off the colored eggs — no grass necessary. Or a small cloth bin that you could embellish with a ribbon handle so they can carry it during their egg hunt would be perfect. In fact, if you hunt around your house, you may find that you have just the thing on hand already.

I hope that helps, Becky. Happy Hunting!


Small rhombus totes from The Container Store. Metal buckets in galvanized silver and solid colors from The Bucket Outlet. Wire baskets from Organize.com. Natural sling bag by Eco Bags.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I'm crazy about Ecobags string bags. I have them in all sorts of fun colors and they hold a TON!

Steph

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 1:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Becky said...

Thanks for the fabulous ideas!! I LOVE the galvanized metal bucket idea and know my kids would be thrilled to participate in decorating them. Off to market for me. . . :)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 2:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger KJ said...

I use a metal bucket for my own little guy...someone gave us baby gifts tucked inside and I use it in the bath to hold small towels except at Easter time. It's a great lime-green color (I think it came from Target) and I love that it's not "themed" or "Easter" and multi-purpose.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 3:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lizzy said...

this year we'll be using new sand buckets. we need to add a couple to our collection and they will be played with all year long.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger pve design said...

We have the same baskets every year!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 5:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

I'm a huge fan of galvanized buckets as easter baskets. They look awesome with some grass. (Ok what doesn't look better with grass but that's beside the point) and when the kids get bored with them they end up as gift containers.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 6:58:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came by to see if you had any good Easter kid ideas for my 4 little peeps - as usual you didn't disappoint. Delurking for this one comment, so just wanted to say thanks!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 8:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

We do the galvanized bucket thing too. One year, I even found some blue ones..they live in the craft closet during the year holding crayons and markers, but come out every Easter...

Ikea has some good ones too...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 10:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger wildthayn said...

Oooh, great ideas! Thanks for posting links to great resources as well. That's a super time and money saver. I love that you are a mother of 5!!! What an adventure!!!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 1:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love the buckets you created! That may be my next project...hope they turn out as great as yours!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 2:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dansie Family said...

i just dug out my easter box (easter came way too early this year) and found some cute metal baskets. i just remembered i wanted to sprout wheat grass this easter and these would have been perfect. hopefully i will remember about it next year.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bucket idea for a host of things, but my heart goes back to b-a-s-k-e-t-y baskets for spring and for Easter. I like something muted, white-washed. Whatever it is, I think children like the Traditions in their own family.

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 10:05:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home