Friday, February 29, 2008

Using a Gocco Screen Printer — by Sister Liz



The gocco is a small Japanese screen printer. It uses flash bulbs to burn an image onto a small disposable screen with which you can print on paper, wood, cloth — pretty much any flat surface. I use the gocco all the time to make cards, stationery, invitations and t-shirts. Each one is hand printed which gives it a really unique, organic look — like these labels I made. Goccos were discontinued for a while and hard to find but there are a couple places that now carry them: here and here.

Here's what the process is like:




Design your image on the computer to fit a 4x6 postcard size (in this case, I was making two images to print on one screen). Print it out in black and white and then make a carbon copy of that print. Cut it out.



Place the cut image in the center of the gocco pad, install the two light bulbs.



After putting the screen into place, press down on the top of the gocco. The light bulbs will flash and crack, burning the image onto the screen
.



Peel the paper off the screen and apply ink on top of the image. It is possible to use multiple colors if you leave room in between for a sticky foam to separate the different color areas.
Another option is to make separate screens for each color and wait for the first printings to dry before printing additional colors.



Place your inked screen back onto the gocco machine and place paper on the pad. Press down again on the gocco to apply the inked screen onto the paper




Voila!
Some people are really talented at this gocco thing — check out this and this.

I made these cards for my awesome friend.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

16 Comments:

Blogger Mumsy said...

Wow. That is so cool! I always wondered how you printed all those pretty things you make.

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 12:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger k8theriver said...

i've wondered. i think i could handle that.

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kari said...

THanks for writing about this. I love all things Gocco, but didn't really understand how it was done!

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 1:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lizzy said...

i'm so glad you did this post. i've seen some of your other cool printed things (yes, i blog stalk you) and i love being in the know. on for the search of my own gocco now...

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 1:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I've been drooling over the gocco for some time and have found a couple of sellers on Etsy who have goccos for sale.

I really appreciate you showing how to do this. I've seen some tutorials before, but this one helped answer a few more questions.

Also, it appears we have a mutual friend in Susan Peterson, of Freshly Picked. She is uber-talented, and that was very sweet of you to give her a little advertising.

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM EST  
Blogger michelle said...

Way to go Liz. Much better than the lame 80's video that came with mine.

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 4:57:00 PM EST  
Blogger Saying It Simply said...

We love finding new ways to make our crafts stand out! This is so cool. Thanks for sharing!

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 5:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Angela said...

I have seen things using a Gocco but had no idea how they did it. I am not a crafty person at all, but I think even I could do this! Thanks for the very useful info. and advice.

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 6:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Laura said...

I completely agree with all the other comments...I had a general idea of how gocco worked but I've never had it explained step-by-step. Thanks so much!

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 6:36:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing

Friday, February 29, 2008 at 7:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lori said...

That looks like such a manageable (i.e. not overwhelming) way of printing. I love it.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 1:50:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This cleared up SOOO much! I don't exactly the "make a carbon copy" instruction- but otherwise it's all clear as a bell! I can't wait to try it =)

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 7:30:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been seeing gocco'd stuff around a lot lately, but didn't realize it was really just tiny screen printing, pretty much.

Now I want one even more. : )

Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 9:22:00 AM EST  
Blogger jordan said...

melissa, the 'carbon copy' is just a photo copy, as opposed to using what comes out of the printer

Monday, March 3, 2008 at 9:53:00 PM EST  
Blogger Denise Kiggan said...

This is so interesting. I have heard about Gocco prints and seen pics of them, but never knew how it worked!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 11:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tamara said...

I'm loving this..I think I have to get one...thanks for the mini-tute.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 6:35:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home