Friday, March 30, 2007

Maude's Birthday Report



I realize I never reported on Maude's birthday party, so here's a little recap:


The party favors turned out wonderfully. My original vision was wide-mouth Nalgene bottles that I could fill with rock candy and a bandana. The final version was a variation of this, but still very cute — and coordinated with the invitations.

I picked up the water bottles at Target. I liked their sporty straps, but the mouths were too narrow to stuff the favors into. No biggie, the kids just received an empty water-bottle with their other favors on the way out the door.


I found an excellent online source on the rock candy, but because I didn't order until the last minute, I couldn't get the candy delivered in time with out paying more than the candy was worth in shipping charges, so I used Gold Nugget Bubble Gum instead and repackaged it as Rock Bubble Gum.


Instead of bandanas, I packaged up bags of 5 sticks ofsidewalk chalk renamed as Climbing Chalk. And I attached the chalk and gum together with carabiners picked up in the Target sporting goods department. So each child went home with chalk, bubble gum, a carabiner, and a water bottle.

Two hours before the party started, the climbing gym called and said they had to shut down for the day because of a gas leak.

I'm not kidding.

Alternative plans had to be made. And fast.

If you're dying for details, I wrote up all the drama in my latest post at NY Metro Parents.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

I SO love this idea! My first grader turns 8 soon and would love this!

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 9:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sara said...

i can't believe they had gas leak. sheesh.

we had so much fun with you guys yesterday. LOVE the trampoline. we might be stopping by quite frequently from now on! :)

and thanks so much for the grass seed. i can't wait to get it all potted.

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 11:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

That is great! I enjoyed the details.

Sometimes I stress out about get togethers & it makes my life worse. I am much happier & stress free not caring about what the guests will think of my decor!

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 12:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Design Mom, I read your article at NY Metro Parents, and all I can say is that you cease to amaze me. This blog is so devine and yet you still manage to write these great articles over there. I love your idea of the birthday party schedule. I agree that a friends party every year is just too much. In fact, I read an article recently about a group of parents who are boycotting the big, outlandish birthday parties.

I love how your family came together and threw a simple, inexpensive, yet fun birthday party. Good job Blair family!

Oh and my little Ethan turned 8 this month and was baptized as well. Good times!

p.s. sorry for such long comment!

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 12:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Alana Goldstein said...

I absolutley love this idea!!!
I am going to put it in my notebook and try to remember it for our little girl someday.

Alana

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 3:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

You are amazing! What fun favores, and now I am off to see what happened AFTER the gas leak...

Friday, March 30, 2007 at 3:54:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nightmare! Can't wait to go read about the entire ordeal. Wonderful idea and prizes, though.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 3:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

AWESOME idea - I love it all! Rock climbing - Rocks - go Maude!!!

Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 6:35:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home