Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gift Guide: Junior Project Runway



A few weeks ago, in the span of about an hour, I received 3 separate links to 3 great fashion design products. I took it as a sign — at least one of my kids will be receiving a fashion-themed gift under the tree. If you have budding fashionistas at your house, let me recommend:

1) Shailie by Style Paige
I love this. Shailie is made up of a life-size, kid-size dress form (in an adorable polka dot print, with fab wooden detailing) and kits full of "pieces" (bodices, sleeves, skirt pieces, sashes, and trims) that can be styled and restyled, attached and detached, to create an endless stream of custom dressups. Seriously so cool.

The Shailie Starter Kit comes in a big box like this:




And it has everything you need to get started — the dress form, the brilliant velcro-ized top and skirt (this is what all the "pieces" attach to), lots of fabric pieces to help you create some runway magic — even a padded, wrap-around "closet" to store the fabric pieces.

If you want to add to the starter kit, there are additional dress kits available. Here's the prom kit:




Friends. There is no sewing required. For reals. Find the Shailie Starter Kit here.

2) Hokey Croquis Sketchbook
When your aspiring fashion designer has advanced past "dress-up" stage. Introduce them to the Hokey Croquis sketchbook. Each page has body form outlines ready to be filled in and detailed — with room in the margins for trim pieces and fabric swatches. This should be a required school supply for fashion design majors.



Here's a photos of the a Hokey Croquis sketch sheet in use:



3) Fashion Playtes
You design it. They make it. You wear it. The Fashion Playtes website will take you through an easy click design process. Pick your basic garment. Choose size and color. Then customize the details. Save it to your "collection" or order it and it will be produced just as you designed it. Love it.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only somewhat-relatedly, you can make a custom croquis of your kid by taking a picture of him or her in a leotard or their undies, and then either print it and trace the outline or use Photoshop to trace and print an outline. Then lay tracing paper over your outline to draw clothing to match your actual shape. I'm of a nonstandard shape and size and I like to do this to predict whether something will be flattering.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 at 2:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger lagata said...

Great Christmas gift ideas for budding designers...

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 at 3:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

love this! wish I knew about this when I was younger!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 at 5:25:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tuppence said...

Thanks for the link. I am off to get the sketch pad for my daughter. :)

Thursday, November 26, 2009 at 8:24:00 AM EST  
Blogger BRADAMANT said...

Thanks so much for the mention Gabrielle!

Thursday, November 26, 2009 at 2:29:00 PM EST  
Blogger Ruth said...

I have some darling grand-daughters, that would love this. Thanks for all you do.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 at 4:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Gabrielle, I just came across your blog and enjoyed reading your last few posts. That unassisted birth story is amazing! I love it! So many great things here. Glad I found you and I'm looking forward to following along. I'd love to have you come visit the Southern Institute.

http://sidac.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 12:40:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Quinn said...

OMGoodness! I LOVE these! I was a budding fashionista in my youth & was constantly doodling designs in my spare time. All of these gift ideas are so fabulous. I'm passing this link on to my friends with little fashionista girls. Thanks!

Monday, November 30, 2009 at 9:24:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Julie said...

this looks perfect for a little budding designer i know!

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 9:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger Rynell said...

I ordered this, based on your recommendation. It arrived so fast! I took a peek inside the notebook and I am beyond excited to give it to my daughter for Christmas. Thanks for the great idea!

Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 11:28:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home