Monday, May 11, 2009

Handmade Gardening — by Guest Mom Starr Keller



When I was diagnosed with adenomyosis last year, I started desperately doing research on the cause and effects of the disease. All signs pointed to what I was putting into my body, and unfortunately for a lady that loves sweets and the occasional fountain soda (caffeine!), all things that fell in the "refined" processing categories were out. No more food or drink with gluten, which meant a big change in my cabinets and grocery lists.

I grew up in a home full with natural parenting and organic eating long before it was en vogue, so calling upon my roots, I knew how to steer my ship and my family's dinner table into a more healthful way. This was the way our family garden was born: eggplant, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes of all hybrids, sweet peas, and recently, herbs.
It has constantly amazed me, and our three little ones delight in how we can take rich soil in little peat pots, tiny seeds, a few days of warm sunshine and a bit of watering and walah! The end result is that we have bright veggies, fruits and herbs of all sorts to enjoy.



Because our kids are still young (ages 6, 5, and 3) labeling what seeds we have planted is of utmost importance. Our first year out, we had 35 tomato plants and one cabbage...so, I turned my efforts to etsy to find creative ways to identify our plantings.
I like to support like-minded folks who are supporting themselves, so handmade stakes from Artisan Hands are perfect! And three stakes for $20 is a reasonable price for these little pretties that can be used again. The frequent watering help from little hands won't soil these pretties either.



For little bits of vintage loveliness in the garden, I like the offerings on from the etsy shop Monkeys Always Look. The idea of upcycling old pieces of silver into functional markers is so creative, and eco-friendly!


Happy gardening, made easier with handmade loveliness. It doesn't get any better than that!


Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad it lead to positive changes. I feel that way about my diabetes. And I have to tell you right up front that I take pottery classes and I am TOTALLY stealing the idea for those garden stakes! AWESOME!!!!

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 3:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Creative Dot Mom said...

When I read about your adnomyosis your writing was inspired! I recently had a hysterectomy because the severity of my case and I have been a bit of a mess since. I would love to hear more about your eating habbits and anything else that has helped. Thanks, Natalie

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 4:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ELK said...

oh the images are a wonder ...what a special spot. Glad you figured out your health issues...

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 6:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Breanne said...

One of these days I would love to start a garden for eating straight out of...
..hope that your health condition is doing ok for you - diet has such an impact, it's amazing!

Your markers here are lovely!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 1:04:00 AM EDT  
Blogger R-Eight said...

Love the garden markers!! I am adding that to the projects I will do with my kids this summer. So great!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 11:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jenB said...

i know this is way late, but I cannot find the link to artisan hands for the garden stakes on etsy. Do you know if they have moved or if the link doesn't work? I LOVE THEM!

Monday, June 29, 2009 at 3:48:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home