Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Link List



Question: how does one know if one has carpel-tunnel-syndrome? (Ouch! It hurts to type this.)
My list today is long and deep. And may or may not include a visit to a physician. So instead of my regular trio of posts, I will leave you with lots of great links to visit. In no particular order.

1) Mighty Goods has a clever Guide to Halloween Costumes being featured right this minute. Spotted on kirtsy.

2) The World's Smallest Postal Service is available for hire. Brilliant. I can die happy knowing this exists.

3) My friend Lisa Clark, the sister-in-law to Nie Nie, wrote a beautiful post on perspective. Don't miss. For realz. Don't miss.

4) Online scrapbooking is taking the world by storm. Or so say several emails in my inbox. If real, live, paper-and-glue scrapbooking doesn't float your boat, check out Inkubook and Scrapblog to see if they're a better fit. Different strokes for different folks, people.

5) Papered Together has their 2009 Calendar ready to go. The bee page is my favorite. Bonus, each calendar page doubles as a mailable card. Recycling in action.



6) Gwyneth Paltrow started a website called Goop. It's pretty. But the interwebs have decided it is a joke. Not clear on the backstory here, but just thought you'd like to know. Spotted on kirtsy.

7) The most recent post I wrote for Cookie was all about a basement decorated in Sharpie Marker. Probably I should do all in my power to make sure Ralph doesn't see this and attempt a bedroom makeover.

8) Francesca's Collections. It was described to me as Forever 21's slightly older sister. But I haven't checked it out yet. Please let me know if it's worth a more thorough look.

9) Rocks in My Dryer has a pretty new design. Yay Shannon!

10) Liz included these handknit slippers in her etsy roundup the other day. I am all about slippers from October through May. And these might be the cutest I've seen. Machine washable. Made to order in your exact size.

11) Win oodles of goodies from Lucky Magazine, plus tickets to their big Lucky Shops event, in the Get Lucky Giveaway at Kirtsy.

add to kirtsy

17 Comments:

Blogger MsAmanda said...

Francesca's Collections=great jewelry, cute clothes, fun bags and little trinkets and trash. The web site doesn't really show how the boutique vibe it has. Its a girlfriend store.

And did I mention the jewelry?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 12:18:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"nourish the inner aspect"

Oh man... I think the 'interwebs' may have nailed this one :)

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 12:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger K and/or K said...

Francesca's Collections--there is one 5 miles from me...dangerously style'n! Love it! Great links.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 1:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger R-Eight said...

when my wrist gets ouchy, to give it a rest, I put the mouse on the other side and have learned to use my left hand. Sorry you're hurting.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Alli said...

If you like calendars, you should check out orangebeautifuls on etsy. They're available for pre-order and I've already ordered mine. :)
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16430943
Each of the top prints for the month can be separated from the calendar and be a print for your wall. I can already imagine using them together in a large frame of the important months to you.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 1:47:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Forever 21 a lot more than Francesca's. The one near me doesn't have a large selection and there are so many colors and fabrics at F21, even though I'm 35:)

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 3:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carina said...

I've found that a sleeping with a pair of stabilizing braces on my wrists really helps me with my carpal tunnel.

Obviously, you need to make sure you're making your workspaces as friendly as possible, but sometimes, when you type/sew/draw/create/paint/sketch there's nothing you can do.

Sleeping with the braces is a great help. You do feel a bit like Edward Scissorhands, but waking up without the tingling and numbness is awesome.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 4:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger MamaChristy said...

The little post office is AWESOME. A wonder gift for those who have everything...

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 5:40:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with msamanda... Francesca's is worth the trip. Perfect for a fun little outfit, purse, or cutesy gift for a dear friend.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 5:58:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do have carpal tunnel (as a lot of us computer-types do) try acupuncture. It completely cured mine.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 6:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

francesca's stores are more fun than the website - small, boutique-y, sort of flea market-ish, in a way. such a fun place to go browse, if you get the chance...we have several in the austin area. the prices are great, too!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 9:16:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a complicated medical test for carpal tunnel. I scooped ice cream at Baskin Robbins as a teenager, and I was sure I had it. I received it and I was wrong. Call the doctor, it could be other things that are also treatable.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 10:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Danika said...

I've been secretly following your blog ever since my psycho ex-boyfriend tried to contact me a couple of months ago. I googled my own name to see how easily I could be found and stumbled upon your blog. I too was born in Utah, am living in Boston and am proud mother to one gorgeous little 6-month old girl. I'm a huge fan of 1-your blog and 2-YOU! Seeing all the pretty things you post makes me pee-your-pants happy but I somehow feel connected to you as a mother who isn't ashamed to have some style as well. Thanks so much for your posts!

I thought I'd pass along the following link because I think it would interest you as well as your loyal readers: http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2008/10/marie-thrse-gown-giveaway.html

For those who sew, this is indeed an amazing creation. Do with it what you may!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 8:38:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand the goop site- there seems to be only 2 pages!

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 3:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Geevz said...

So carpal tunnel eh? Do you have any numbness of tingling in your middle or first fingers? One test is putting the backs of your hands together, fingers pointing down, and pushing them for 30 seconds. If that brings numbness or tingling, you have carpal tunnel. Ice your wrist and put it in a brace for a week doing as little as possible. That can clear up mild cases and maybe save you a trip to the doc.

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 10:36:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of perverse curiosity I signed up for the Goop newsletter a few weeks ago. First one came last week, and it featured 5 (or so) religious thinkers on the subject of what to do with a friend who always thinks negatively (bet Gwyn's friend loved it).

This week's features recipes for banana buckwheat pancakes, Asian tuna sandwiches with soy and sesame mayo, and caramelized black pepper chicken.

Next week will feature "three very cool doctors" who will discuss "how to achieve general health, well-being, detoxification and weight loss."

I may actually try the recipes. Alas, the newsletter is not so-bad-it's-good as I had hoped it would be. What if I end up liking Goop???

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 8:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ABBY said...

i feel your pain. some stretches have been helping me more as of late. best to you in your recovery, and here's another little thing inspired by carpal tunnel. may it bring you a smile or help you cope or something . . . :)

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 10:08:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home