Friday, May 25, 2007

Ask Design Mom: Waterproof Bibs



Ask-Design-Mom Question:
Hello Design Mom! I have just been introduced to your site and I am LOVING it! I have been reading through the archives so that I can get caught up and not miss a single post. I ran across the "Let's Make Some Bibs" post (such a cute idea and so simple) when a thought came to my mind. I have a 6 month old slobber/teether who soaks through about 3 or 4 bibs a day — I can't keep her dry! Any suggestions of how to keep bibs from soaking through to her cute clothes, in turn keeping her dry? I have seen some plastic/vinyl lined ones in the stores, but would prefer something more appealing. I guess I could line my own with some sort of waterproof material from the fabric store. Any ideas? — Carly Farnsworth

Design Mom Answer:
Smart question, Carly. Drooling babies are a fact of life, but luckily the drooling stage is pretty temporary. Personally, I think your idea of lining your own bibs with a waterproof material is genius — you don't need my help at all!



But if you're really not up for a project, I would recommend keeping watch for oilcloth bibs like these. Oilcloth often comes in really fun and funky retro prints that are really appealing. And oilcloth will do an excellent job of keeping your baby dry.

Design Mom Readers, how do you keep your babies dry?

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger love.boxes said...

I love those oilcloth bibs, they are the cutest. I'm also addicted to Beth's Market Bags out of oilcloth that can be found on Ebay. They are lined inside in oilcloth as well and would make great bags for the pool, park or diapers etc.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Photo Booth Girl said...

You can get iron on vinyl at the fabric stores! So fun, you can make bibs or splat mats or whatever out and make it waterproof :D Have fun.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 11:19:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Deidra said...

Martha has instructions for creating your own and backing them with vinyl. A DIY solution.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 4:15:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to add another plug for the oilcloth. We were given a few to use with my first son (now 3), and after NUMEROUS uses and washings, I am still using them with son #2 (now 8 months). They are sturdy, functional, yet lightweight enough for baby to feel comfortable wearing them. As a bonus, the patterns are so intriguing that both of my sons enjoyed playing with them when they were practicing "waiting patiently" (in the store, on a plane, whatver!).

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 8:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Cape Cod Washashore said...

Been there... done that... four times! =) I can honestly say, after years of learning, that I did very well with those fancy cotton and chenille bibs (many ladies sell beautiful handmade ones on etsy and ebay). They are thick and very absorbant (baby #4 would get a rash if I used plastic or oilcloth -- he required 100% cotton). That thick chenille did the trick!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 9:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tania said...

I make most of my own bibs too. I don't like the vinyl, because it ends up yellowing and cracking. Oilcloth often makes my kids get a rash. I have had great luck using 100% cotton fabric, and quilters batting in the middle. It's called warm and natural. It's 100% cotton, and uses no glues or anything to hold it together. It seems thick enough to wick up whatever spills, plus I make them wide enough to go right to their shoulders (where we KNOW food gets spread.)I have some bibs that I made for my 1st, and other than being a little faded, are going strong for my 4th.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 3:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Motherhood Uncensored said...

Hey G --

Resadesign.com has some great new bibs -- dribblers --

http://resadesign.com/bib_list.html

They've got vinyl on the back so they soak well but I LOVE the patterns and the size. Sometimes they get so gigantic you can't even see your kid -- just a gigunda bib!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marie {Make and Takes} said...

I also make bibs. I use terry cloth so it is very absorbent. My bibs are large and cover almost all of baby. My kids wear these bibs until they are 3-4, because they need it. Click on my name and it will show you what they look like from my blog. Good Luck.

Monday, May 28, 2007 at 10:52:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home